Monday, April 14, 2008

Saddling the dragon

Hubby left this morning at 3 am to go work on a project in Lake Charles. He'll be coming home for Sundays over the next few weeks. Until then, it's just me and the kidlets.

We're getting close to end of the school year, and with the painting and things I want to do, I imagine I'll be stuck here at home unless I absolutely rebel against the things I know that need to be done. I could easily picture myself procrastinating and taking Mini over to his grandma's for cookies or something when I know I should be working...or something.

I wrote close to the 3k words yesterday, which is amazing since I haven't done anything productive since I finished the Weirdly 2 edits. It's definitely time to get back on the wagon.

I'm once again working on the story I pitched at the NOLA Conference. I went back and read through some of my material, which wasn't terribly bad, then sat down with a blank document and pushed the story forward from the point where I'd rounded off the end to suit the partial.

I noticed when writing last night that there are quite a few plot holes I need to work out. Rats! Typically I'll abandon a project if the plot seems to have too many elements missing, but I like the idea behind this story too much to ditch it. Although I'm probably setting myself up for a major headache in the long run, I'm going to stick through this one; I'm just going to write it and see what developes. I tell myself (as an inner pep talk kind of thing) that if nothing else, fixing the plot holes will help bolster my word count, which is nothing to shake a stick at. My goal is between 75-90k words.

I've picked up another book. I'm currently reading An Excellent Wife? by Charlotte Lamb. I read everything by her that I can get my hands on. She passed away several years ago, and I miss her unique writer's voice. I truly feel like a light went out in the romance writing world when she passed away.

The thing I like best about her books is that the men in her books act like men I know. Some of them are harsh, some a bit smug, some talk a line of shit a mile long, and others can't seem to buy a clue when it comes to women. If anything can be said, Charlotte Lamb's heroes are definitely different. A few of them have been jerks to the extent I've wanted to bonk on the head with a blunt instrument. Then again, I kind of feel that if you're a smarmy, goody two shoes heroine who marries the hero out of convenience to say, help some idiot out of a troubled business deal because you don't want some British banker to learn he's your baby daddy, I think you kind of get what you get. But I'm just sayin'....

Yikes! It's almost noon! I guess I better get off the net and do something productive. Like the dishes. Oy, Mondays... Have a good day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I'd be a lost soul if hubby had to work away like yours. When he went to stay with his mum for a week after her operation, I moped about like a pleb!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know sometimes edits just take the life out of us, don't they?! I know for me, they completely stifle my creativity. But no worries, I trust you'll be back on the bandwagon in no time! I'm glad you're going back to the old story. Sometimes that helps put us on the right track.

    Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been a hectic week.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^