Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Getting Over The Hump


I managed to get a good bit of writing done today. I added in a critical scene, filled in some backstory, and overall wrote about 2k words. I made great progress, but with the changes I've made, the book is now cross genre and with every page I write it seems to dip more and more into urban fantasy territory.
I'd planned to send this book to a particular place once finished, but now I'm thinking it would do better elsewhere. I have an idea where to send it when I'm finished, but I'll have to see how the story developes before I know for sure. I know people say you shouldn't explore the market for a book you haven't completed, but I will admit I do it anyway. I feel more confident about charging forward if I know what I'm going to do with a project once it's finished.

On to other things... I'm currently reading Karen Chance's Claimed by Shadow. Earlier today I cleaned out my bookshelves, and boxed up some old books that didn't reach re-read status with me. They'll have to find a new place to collect dust. I sealed them up and had Oldest take them out to the storage shed. When I can come up with about three or four more boxes, I plan to cull the rest. Once I get my current TBR stack read down a bit, I'll begin giving them away on the blog - if ya'll don't mind winning previously read books?
Anyway, I cleaned out the main two shelves, put away all the old faves I haven't reread in a year or more. At the back of everything, I'm not sure how this happened, but I found an entire stack of romances that I'd picked up and never read. I moved them to the front, and took down the book on top to read. Claimed by Shadow it is...

Touch the Dark took me a while to get into, but once I did, it turned out to be a worthy read. According to the back blurb, Claimed by Shadow centers around a master vampire putting a geis on Cassandra Palmer - the Pythia, aka the world's chief clairvoyant - to put off any would-be suitors. This one sounds like it will be a bit romancier, and I'm hoping it will be. I lurves romance with my urban fantasy.
That's it for me now. Mini is whining, so we're going out to the sandbox for a while. Hope you all have a pleasant hump day!

10 comments:

  1. Good for you and the writing progress!! Keep it up sweet!!!

    When you do get rid of your books what do you do with them? I try to keep the ones that REALLY do it for me and then the others I take to the half priced bookstore for credit. And I really like your idea with giving them away online! I haven't thought of that! I just may have to do that! Thanks for the idea. You never know, I may be able to send you some that you may not have read yet!

    I wont say too much about the book your currently reading. I've read it but don't want to "spoil" anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book is a book. Doesn't matter if it's been read. Content doesn't change. ;) Unless you've scribbled in it. HA HA. I heard of someone who used to do that at my bookstore. Made the managers crazy. The customer would just come in and write in the books. :-\ EEK!

    Great job with your book! Keep it up, I'm really excited for you! 2k is great! I really really LOVE urban fantasies so if you're looking for a CP, I volunteer myself willingly. ;) Ha ha.

    *waves pom poms* Go Cora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on all the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful progress on your book, Cora. Keep up the good work! Have a good weekend. :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found some NEW Friday HOTTIES!! YUM!! Come take a peek and tell me what you think;o) Hope your Friday is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Crystal! I dropped by and paid you a visit.

    As for the books, I usually give them away to someone, or I toss them in the freebie box at the library. I used to take them to the Salvation Army, but when I'd go to buy books there, I'd see all the titles on the shelves were those I'd donated. *_*

    Now I read them and release them into the wild. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's true, Isabelle. Some of the books have a bookstore stamp inside, but no writing.

    I can't imagine someone coming in to a bookstore and writing in the books. *_* I'd have to wonder if she'd done lost her mind.

    Coming over to visit you in a second girly. Heh. And if you, by chance, get 2 chapters of urban fantasy by email, don't be too shocked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks unmight! How have you been? I'll have to drop by for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Demon! I hope you have a happy weekend as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! Crystal! I'll take #2 with the dark, spiky hair. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^