Sunday, February 24, 2008

Lost In A Violet Haze




Saturday the family and I went shopping for the final things I needed for the conference. I bought shoes, a new watch, and a case to carry my papers in for the workshop. In the morning I'm calling for my hair appointment. I'm going to ask for stacked layers - ooh, flicky! - and cheek bone length side bangs. Tres chic! Let's just hope I walk out of there with what I ask for. LOL!

I managed to clean up one solid chapter of the story for HQN, but after that I had to put it down and take a rest over the weekend. I've been just on the brink of getting sick, so I had to take it a bit slower than I usually like. Lots of REAL food - sans junk! And watching my blood sugar a bit better. I can't afford to get sick the week of the conference. That would totally bite the big one, and given what all I've done to ensure I get there, you can bet your fanny I'd be showing up red nosed, watery eyed, coughing into my tissues. Come hell or high water, I'm going.

Once I'm back from the conference though, I have to take a trip to the doctor. I've been putting it off for far too long. *grumble* My aunts and uncles in TX, they get even a hiccup and they run to the doctor. As you can tell, we joke about it a bit in our immediate family circle. One of my aunts literally got dropped by her insurance for too many claims over a five year period. I didn't even know that was legal! *_* Anyway, I digress...

I'm not sure what it is with my immediate family and doctors. We have to be one foot in the grave before we'll go. Me included. :P I've had this sinus thing nagging me since early January, and now I've got a cough to go with it. It's a little tickly cough that's not really all that severe, it's just enough to irritate the stuffins out of me. It's particularly annoying when I try to prevent Mini from jumping on the couch (and thereby falling off of it ON HIS HEAD, thereby resulting in an emergency room visit). I try to shout at him from the dining room and I break into a hacking fit. So not cool!!! And Mini won't even begin to take me seriously when I'm coughing, the little booger!

Soo... I'm soon off to the doctor for that. And for my blood sugar. I know what the doc is going to say there though...stop eating like a trash can and take your insulin. I think more or less I pay that man for the rah rah motivational health speech than any real practical health repair.

Oh, oh!! Funnies... I almost forgot! On Saturday after shopping, hubby drove the four of us over to a little seafood restaurant outside of Ruston. They had just opened the door for the evening when we got there, so the parking lot was empty. We parked right by the door, and had no idea it was buffet night until we went in. Yay! We made our order and got situated at a comfortable corner table - which would prove to be hell to vacate once we tried to leave. Anyway, Hubby sat with Mini while Oldest and I went to fill our plates. I, like always, fill one for me, and one for Mini. I get back to the table and I turn and look. Whoa!!! Where did all the people come from?! There is now a line leading out the front door with people waiting to get in this place. Really, I guess, I'm not so surprised: all you can eat shrimp, stuffed crabs, ribs, catfish filets and nuggets, whole fried fish, grilled Tilapia, frog legs, gumbo, potato salad... all kinds of yummies up there. And the waitstaff - so friendly and nice!

Well, it wasn't easy getting to and from the buffet table. The place had more customers than it did seating. So, when Oldest looked over at my plate, he pointed at the food I'd picked out and said, "What's that?" I told him, "It's a frog leg."

Now, we're a bit country, and we do eat some pretty strange things depending on who you ask. Oldest has had alligator and lots of different game type things, but I think frog seemed a little much in his book. I personally like frog legs, especially with cocktail sauce for shrimp, and I didn't want him to think it was that off base. I mean really, it's not exactly exotic.

I see the skeptical look on Oldest's face and so I ask him, "Do you want one of my frog legs so you can give it a try?" He thinks about it a few seconds and says, "Sure, why not?" I pass him one of my frog legs and I have to hold back a chuckle when he starts to nibble at this tiny thing like it's a mini chicken leg.

"Honey, break the leg in half, put one piece in your mouth and rake all the meat off with your teeth as you pull the bone out." And alas, I demonstrated. Oldest watched, nodded, then did the deed. All was well and we went on with our meal. Hubby arrived back from the buffet and sat down with this HUGE honking plate of shrimp and catfish. It looks like he brought back half the buffet with him. I gawk at his haul and he shrugs and says, "I'm not going back through THAT line." Bwahahahaha! If that's not male mentality, I don't know what is. ^_^

About twenty minutes later, we're all pretty much finished eating except for hubby. Oldest has been particularly quiet throughout the meal. I glance over at him to ask if he wants ice cream, when I notice he has one of the frog leg bones in his hand and is looking at it. I didn't say anything about it though, I'm trying to keep Mini occupied so he won't drive us out of the restaurant - which is by now packed beyond capasity, to the point of being almost uncomfortable. Oldest forgoes the ice cream, and out of the blue, he leans over and asks me, "Mom? What are the signs you're allergic to something you've eaten?"

"You mean like fish?" I ask him, and he nods. "Well, you'll have trouble breathing possibly, or you'll break out in an itchy rash." I told him nothing scary about anaphilactic shock - however you spell it, because I know darn well my son isn't allergic to fish; the only thing he's proven allergic to is school work and cleaning his room.
He nods and looks relieved all the same. He says, "Good. I only wanted to make sure. Incase I started feeling weird."

Starts feeling weird? I look at the shrimp that he didn't eat sitting on his plate. "Well, hon, you're not allergic to shellfish, so what are you worried about?"

"Oh, it's not about the shrimp," he tells me. "I was worried about eating the frog legs."

*_* Bwhahahahahaha! No, no I didn't really laugh at him. Only in my soul. Hehehehehe!! *evil mommy* I did assure him he wasn't going to have an allergic reaction to frog meat, just so he wouldn't panic later if he later developed a wart or something. Bwahahahahaha, Kids!!!

((deep breath)) Okay, okay... enough for me. I promise to be good. 0:)

That's it for tonight. It's after midnight and I really, really need to go to bed. I hope you all had a great weekend, and I wish you all a smooth and productive Monday. I promise to get around today and visit you all to check out what I missed over the weekend. See you in a bit!

11 comments:

  1. That was too funny. You were wrong for that, but it was funny...lol. ;*) I live in the south but I don't eat game or anything like it. My relatives do though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *blushes* Sounds like a question I would have asked. lol I've always wondered about frog legs, but I can't bring myself to eat them. There's only one place around here that sells them and I'd be too afraid of my body's reaction to order them. HA HA. ;)

    *HUGS* Have fun at conference! Come back with tons of photos and great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time at the conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best O' luck at the conference. I hope your shoes serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl! You better get some pictures of your new do!!!! Now your making me want to cute MY hair off! This is the first time since being a kid that i've actually had long hair. Let us know!!

    Ha! I'm like that too! I don't care if i'm sick or not, if i've already planned something important I will deffinatly go too! I hope you have a wonderful time;o)

    I think it's been at least 3 years?? since i've been to the doctor for anything other than a annual exam. I loath those....

    How come it is the kids take complete advantage when the adults are sick? Do they think by rebelling when we're at our worse it'll be BETTER for them? Girl....Sick or not, my kids try to pull a fast one and it's 10 times worse than if I was well. It may have to do with all the meds one takes, i'm thinking it's to blame for the tendancies to string my kids by their ankles until I regain my scrupples!!

    Do you have Diabetes? (SP) And how do you feel when you know somethings wrong with it?

    OMG Girl. I'm moving to your town so I can eat at that restaurant! I like EVERYTHING you listed! Now i'm hungry...Subway JUST won't do...

    ROFLMAO!! I can't believe Oldest would even take the time to even WONDER if he's allergic! Has he had an allergic reaction before to something? Poor thing didn't even get any ice cream to finish off the good time cause he was centering on his breathing and other body signals!ROFL!! I can't help but think this all too funny. I've HAD an allergic reaction in my youth and it was the scariest thing!

    Glad you had fun this weekend and don't forget to got to that doctor!!;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw...I just LOVE that picture! Those colors are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Demon, I just couldn't help myself. ^_^ Hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehehe! My "no touch" sea food is oysters, Isabelle. I see them and...well, I think of that episode of Mr. Bean when he woofed down all these oysters that had gone off. *_* Yikes!

    BTW, I promise to get tons of pics from the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks bunches, Unmighty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will, Crystal. I made the appointment for Thursday at 10 AM. You know, for years I had waist legnth hair and wouldn't cut it. Was afraid to. After Mini was born I went for the gusto and donated the length. Since then I've noticed I'm a lot more "hair adventurous". I never thought I'd be that way, but since I made the big chop, I'm not so worried about it being shorter.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.