Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Long Day

One of my best-est online friends (and one of my crit buddies) went in for surgery this morning, and I gotta say, today has been one of the longest waits of my life! I hovered around the phone like a psycho, swatting any hands that came near it and threatened to tie up the phone line. I got word this afternoon that she pulled through her surgery with no complications, and whoa...I've been like a salted slug ever since. I think has to be the most wonderful news I've had all week.

This all comes on the heels of learning that one of my fellow collector friends has had massive organ failure after a lengthy battle with anorexia. He is on life support now, and the doctors do not expect him to pull through. I've been waiting all day for more news on his condition, but there are no changes; just word that more of his family has arrived to be at his bedside and lend support to his life partner. I still can't quite grasp the fact he is in the state he's in. It all seems so surreal. I messaged back and forth with him only days ago, and he seemed to me so vibrant and in good spirits. I haven't been back to the groups to post because his messages are still up, and I can't look at them without crying. I can't think of a single person with a sweeter, more giving spirit...

While waiting for phones to ring and emails to come through today, I busied myself with writing, writing, and more writing. Or technically, rewriting. And editing. I've been polishing my first three chapters within an inch of their given life. Seriously, if these things were written on notebook paper with pencil, the pages would see-through from all the eraser marks. Tempest, bless her heart, red penned my prologue and pointed out some important things this morning. I made notes all over the place and plan to clean up that little mess before heading out to the conference.

Whew! All in all, I feel I'm ready. Or rather, as ready as I'm going to be. I have one more chapter to shape up before Friday, so that will be my grand plan for tomorrow. That, and to make it to my hair appointment. I really, really need a haircut. About all I can do with the ol' mop right now is barette it back, or put it in a ponytail. Yep, time for scizzing. *snip, snip*

Well, I better wrap it up for now. I just put Mini beast to bed and I'm so godawful freaking tired I'm tempted to fall in behind him and catch a few Zs. If I didn't have so much work to do and so little time to do it in, I probably would. But for now, I should really take advantage of the quiet time and get some work knocked out. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Aw Cora, I'm so sorry. It's always so hard to lose someone, especially when you didn't see it coming. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend hun. That is really difficult to deal with. *HUGS*

    Good job with keeping up with your WIP. I hope your edits and such are going great! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend. Prayers and good vibes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap Cora, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You know, now that you posted and got me to thinking about it, you never hear about the men that go through the battle of anorexia. I really hope he turns around and pulls through.

    Glad your other friends surgery went well and that you made some headway with your writing;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* What an emotional day, uh? At least she's doing okay after surgery. *wg*

    I'm happy to hear you didn't kill me for critique. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. (hugs).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came by to see if you've heard anything about your friend. I've been keeping him and you in my thoughts and thought i'd see how he was. I hope your doing okay.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.