Friday, January 11, 2008

What NOT to...




I should really be figuring the checkbook right now and getting the bills together, but I decided to blog first because I don't think there will be a chance again until late tonight. First things first though...

It's Friday! It's FRI-I-I-DAY!!!
*break dance * disco * chicken wings * booty wiggle*


After errands, and a stop by the store to pick up baby wipes and paper towels, I'm taking Mini out to his gram's new house. We're going to help her clean up. She and dad had the water turned on out there yesterday, and she's bringing a propane heater to keep us warm. I've already packed an arsenol of trucks for Mini to play with in the yard. I'm also taking my camera - muahahahaha!!

I weighed in this morning, and I've dropped another 3 pounds. Woot! So, I'm down a total of 8 pounds. I'm just thrilled the donuts mom brought over didn't sabotage me. :P I've dropped a jean size; hopefully I can get back into my old jeans (the jeans formerly known as the fat pants before I "outgrew" them) in time for hubby's birthday.

Now for a parenting moment: what NOT to do to get your toddler to take a nap...

Yesterday, when I attempted to put Mini down for a nap, he was too restless to snooze. Not knowing what else to do, I asked him if he wanted me to tell him a story. He says, "Uh-huh." So, thinking to make him slip into a napping coma, I channel my 8th grade General Business teacher, and begin to tell him a made up story about our doggy Kinz in a soft, monotone voice.

Once upon a time, there was a brown floppy earred dog named Kinz...

You get the idea. I make up something as I go along, crazy about Kinz watching people in the house, chasing birds and gnawing bones, etc. Stuff that's common for us when we think about it, but out there stuff for a toddler, you know? Anyway, despite my best effort to bore Mini to sleep with my voice - I even yawns a few times myself in the process, the minute I say "THE END" Mini sits up on the bed and starts rattling off all about Kinz. This and that, and bones and birds, and before you know it, he's jumping on the bed and nap time is a complete BUST.

*sigh* I didn't see the point in fighting it, and we went on in the den to watch Backyardigans. Heh. Big help my story was, as you can plainly tell... :P

Well, after hubby got home, I thought I'd tell him what a mess I made of naptime, and so I mentioned the "Kinz story". Mini, apparently, was listening as I was explaining this. He turned to his daddy, cut me off mid-sentence and begins telling him in semi-coherent toddler talk all about Kinz and his antics, punctuated by "Woof! Woof! Ahh!! Where's my bone?" ^_^ I was amazed at his memory! It might not have put him to sleep, but he was certainly paying attention, lol!

That's it for me today. I've got to get going; it's almost 11 o'clock and I'm still in my pajamas.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday!










10 comments:

  1. I dread the "balancing" of the checkbook. I always dream that if I don't balance it that I still have money left in there...It's a good theory anyway;)

    Don't try to do too much work today girlie! Gotta keep you well so you can keep writing regularly! But can you emagine the stories you could come up with when doped up on enough meds....interesting. I may have to try that out and see if I could even come up with a story....probably not, I'd probably get myself all hot and bothered only to realize I have no man to torcher with so many wicked thoughts,LOL!! I need a life!
    At least you'll get some good pictures! I look forward to seeing them;)

    WOOHOO! 8 pounds, damn girl, better watch out, your hubby gonna think he got himself a new woman! You already look beautiful but I know how it is to lose those unwanted pounds. I'm just trying to figure out how in the hell to get the pounds I do have, off the damn floor*_*....Walking ain't doin the trick....Frustrating, I tell you!

    But doesn't it feel so wonderful when you start getting back into clothes you haven't worn lately?! Congrats on the 8 pounds and I hope you get to where you want to be weight wise. I'm still trying to figure out the "toning" part of it so let me know if you have any ideas or a wheel barrow. Is that how you spell it???

    Girl, I feel you when it comes to naps. It was always a fight with Sam and after she turned 4 it turned into an all out WAR to get her to nap, I gave up...William stopped taking naps at 3-4 as well. I just walk around all foggy eyed now...;0)At least Mini had a good time with it. If he doesn't take a nap during the day do you put him to bed earlier at night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... Mini is so cute. :D I don't think you made a mess of naptime at all, although your yawning will probably tell a different story. I think you created a really great memory there for Mini.

    Huge congrats on t he weight loss!!! That is sooo great! :D Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should write it down. Sounds like a good story if it kept Mini's attention. Congrats on the weight loss, I'm working on it (doing more walking and starting Tai Chi), so wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly Mini and his Mommy think alike--

    a creative story will only spark his artistic curiosity, yeah?

    The nap may have failed, but Mini may begin to walk in his mama's creative footsteps sooner than you think.

    If you want to put mini to sleep, I can give you some psychological, statistical, PostHoc mumbo jumbo that will be sure to have you both yawning before long.

    What can I say? I'm a giver! :)

    Have a good weekend with the family!

    Hope your sinuses are treating you with a little more respect.

    jenji
    oh and congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids can really wig you out, can't they? LOL!

    I gave up on naptime for my youngest. He turned 3 in October. He's not had an afternoon nape in 18 months. His feet hit the floor running when he rises each morning and he does NOT stop until at least 11 PM, usually midnight or a little after. He's so wicked smart that it's starting to wig ME out, lolol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal, that's sure the truth! I wish everytime I opened the checkbook it had more money in it. LOL!!! It would sure make grocery shopping much easier! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks bunches, Isabelle. :) Oh gosh, I will admit I did yawn throughout the day. I think I will miss naps more than he will. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, Ann. Tai Chi sounds like fun. I hope it works for you. I'd try it myself if I could scrounge up a gym buddy around here. No one ever wants to go. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks bunches, Jenji! I hope Mini will take at least a little bit after me in that regard. ~_^

    The sinuses are doing better today - thanksfully! Someone told me a teaspoon of horseradish would help. Oy boy, they weren't kidding! :S LOL!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehehe! Zinnia, your little bitty sounds like a real go getter! ^_^ I hope Mini will still want to take a nap, but it's getting tougher and tougher to convince him. Then come 4 pm, there's almost no living with him, he's so fussy. *sigh* Mommyhood. ~_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.