Thursday, January 03, 2008

Research, research...




Last night I stayed up super late researching the Silk Road and the Ottoman Empire for a horror story. Now I'm comparing all that to 1940s India and Turkey. Whew! That's more of a job that I thought it would be.

At any rate,I have most of the initial story written; I did a quick write thing and knocked out the whole beginning of the story in a writing session. Of course, the work needs smoothing and tweaking, but for all constructive purposes, that part is finished. Now to write the back half.

First, however, I need to get some of my geography straight, and some of the local flavor and traditions correct. Oy, I AM NOT a fan of story research, but it's part of the job description, and there are just some stories that require more headwork than others. This is one of those projects. Even so, I hope to have the rough draft knocked out over the weekend. That would sure make my New Year complete!

Off for now! I must get some of this laundry done. It's piled up for a day or two, and now there is a mountain of jeans in the hallway. *sigh* Anyone else looking forward to Friday?

6 comments:

  1. How do you DO that? You work so fast! Ha ha. I swear, you amaze me.

    Research is fun for me, because it's distracting. I have serious A.D.D. so I spend hours jumping from one topic to the next. It's probably why I get no writing done. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Isabelle...I couldn't keep on one topic without jumping...That's why I read YOUR writing and don't attempt it myself! I'd get too frustrated...Way to go!

    Yeah, i've got that ol laundry to do as well...guess I better get to it;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy am I looking forward to Friday, I've got the day off and I'm going to write and take down the Christmas ficus (I took pictures now I just have to finish the roll and get them developed- sigh), and then go out to dinner with friends and to a bad movie marathon at the library. Good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The horror story is quite short, so it's going by fast. It helps that there's not a required word count. ;)

    Research.... Oh gosh, I wish I could get into it, but urg...too much like high school. Should I admit that? *_* My brain goes into hibernate mode after too many hours of studying. Before you know it, I'm tapping my pen against the desk and I find myself daydreaming. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! Sounds like you're gonna have a good day, Ann! We're making a library run tomorrow too. I've got an overdue book that has to go back and Oldest wants to use the computer lab for something.

    A Christmas ficus sounds cute! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Now I now ALL ABOUT daydreaming! That's more fun;0)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^