Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Turkey Days Ahead

My mom is coming by today and we're going to plot the Thanksgiving menu. I guess it's a tradition sort of thing rather than one of actual planning, because the food duty is usually doled out the same way every year - I do the turkey, mom the dressing. I do cookies, she bakes a pie. That sort of thing. However, I do want to spice things up and make a small pan of crawfish dressing this year, which I love, but never take the time to actually make.

I read in the news this morning that Ira Levin died. What a devastating loss for the horror writing world! I remember when I discovered Ira Levin. I think I was about 9, and I was staying with my grandparents. All us grandkids would sleep in the den in front of the TV on beanbags (those were the days!), and grandpa always slept on the couch. So, here it is, something like 2 in the morning and I wake up to the sound of a dog snarling, barking. It's the ending of The Boys from Brazil on TV. My grandpa was watching it. I caught the ending and it totally Freaked.Me.Out. I wasn't old enough to understand the movie then, so I looked the book up later. It's about an underground agency who managed to clone all these copies of Hitler - by the time the hero of the book discovered it, the "boys" were teenaged, and showing deranged tendencies.

What a scary idea. I've never read another book remotely similar. The Boys from Brazil in turn lead me to read Rosemary's Baby, The Stepford Wives, and later Son of Rosemary. Isn't it wild how we can sometimes track an influential author as milestones in our own lives?

After writing today, I'm taking Mini-bear out to swing. IF the sun comes out. It's been so grayish and misty out. Damp weather, just perfect to get a kid sick. Oddly though, this is usually our rainy season, and we've hardly had a drop. In fact, it's not even cold. I'm running the air conditioner right now and wearing jean shorts. Still, don't want to take him out in the gray. We will see, we will see...

Happy hump day, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I have only tried the "Cooking of the Turkey" once...When I was married, guess thats why i'm divorced now! That poor turkey, he never saw what hit him...

    Bean bags, I remember those. So do my parents...The first thing that ALWAYS got torn to shreads when my brother and I would start fighting would be that! All those little white balls...good times. My kids aren't allowed one.

    Hellen Keller was my "milestone."

    The weather here is sunny with a high of 87. Tomorrow it will be only 68 for the high...I wish the weather would make up it's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been pretty dark here too. Although I don't necessarily mind. It's good sleeping weather. ;)

    I definitely tracked my growth through my books. I went from Sweet Valley High to Lois Duncan in a few short years. I was all about the mystery, the horror, the romance. Even at that age, I liked a good, twisted love story. ;) What can I say? I'm a bit demented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that about Ira Levin. Our friend, critic Cerri Ellis blogged about it on Shape of Imagination.

    http://cerriellis.blogspot.com

    Kinda scary two literary greats almost back to back.

    Norman Mailer and Ira Levin. Makes me wonder who might be next. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do a Turkey at Christmas being that right now, Gram makes the food mostly - she likes to. We try to help but the truth is, she likes to do it. =)

    Have a good one!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^