Thursday, November 01, 2007

Sifting the Bounty

Last night I stayed up long enough to clear the 25k mark on my wip, so I'm officially in the word count clear. I've still got to go back and do a clean up of the entire thing, so I've gotta get crackin' with it this week and get it all together. I've still got two more unchecked chapters to sort through so I'm sure that everything is where it should be in the book. I don't want any surprises right at the end when I think I'm about to wrap things up.

Last night I read By the Waters of Babylon, by Stephen Vincent Benet. It's a post apocalypic short story about a young man on a vision quest. It's not often so I'm thoroughly taken with something I've read, but I know I'll never forget reading this story. It's one of those that sticks with you, a bit like Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale. Or Usula K. LeGuin's Lathe of Heaven. If you can somehow manange to get your hands on a copy of By the Waters of Babylon I highly, highly recommend it.

So has anyone else seen the trailer for Stephen King's The Mist? I wonder because it looks very much like Silent Hill or The Fog to me. Either way, I must see this movie. I'm of the understanding that it was one of his short stories, but I don't think I've ever read it unless it was originally titled as something else.



I also want to see that new Will Smith move, I am Legend. He's supposedly the last man on Earth, or something like that? The movie looks awesome, but it's kind of hard to determine exactly what the movie is about. I need to do a net search on it and find out more.

Well, it's that time again...

Thirteen Things (I Hope To Do Before the Xmas Holidays)

1.)Sell one more book.
2.)Shave my TBR list in half.
3.)Clean out Mini's Toybox.
4.)Clean out all the closets.
5.)Put all our tote boxes in storage.
6.)Make one HUGE donation haul to the local Salvation Army.
7.)Have all the Halloween candy out of the house.
8.)Have my office/doll room organized so I can fit a spare bed in there.
9.)Sort through all my yarns and fabric bundles.
10.)Finish that blue and white afghan I started 2 YEARS AGO. *_*
11.)Put new carpet in the den.
12.)Get all my scrapbooking tid bits into actual scrapbooks.
13.)And lastly... give away all those boxes of shoes I know I'll never wear. - This one is long, long, loooong overdue.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I better get writing. Hope you all have a snazzy Thursday. ^_^

22 comments:

  1. Holy crap, that's a big list. I'm feeling like a lazy wuss now. Must go get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clean? Clean?

    What are you, nuts?

    I like you anyway, Cora. I'm with you on goal #1, but since I'm still agent-free, I doubt it'll happen for me until next year. Unless I just make good on my threat to self-publish, but even then, it won't count as a sale, now will it?

    Let's get together for a scrapbook weekend. I have piles of stuff that need to go into albums, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think keeping shoes from like 10 years ago is just a woman thing...I do that too, thinking that even though I haven't worn "these" this year I will NEXT year...Good luck with that. I did that once, THREE bags later My closet was clean.HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Carrie. Yep, a big list, urg... It's all my fault for letting things go as long as they have. :S

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Glad you can still like me for mah need to clean, Susan. ^_^

    I don't have an agent yet either, so I'm just kind of riding wherever the waves take me for now.

    Let's book that scrapbook weekend. I've got all kinds of frilly, sticky on-y tags, cards and buttons to stick all over the kids pictures.

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Crystal!

    I'm so bad...the shoes from 10 years ago are the ones I want to keep. LOL! Is that just me? I want to keep 3 prs of Doc Martens, and give all the other shoes away. Except for 1 pr of sneakers that are pretty beat up and don't match anything. (They're plaid - and the most comfortable things on the planet.)

    Yep, I'm hopeless. *sigh* :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive seen the commercial for I AM LEGEND and have been itching to know more. It really doesn't describe the movie too well, but I am curious! :D Let me know if you find anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me right up until number 11. And I've got an afghan that's been waiting 13 years -- you wanna finish it, too, while you're at it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isabelle! OMG, I found out I Am Legend is a vampire-esq movie! I found a kick-butt trailer for it, and I'll email you a link to it later tonight. I was talking to a friend who said this started out as a book, but I haven't searched out the author yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, start the new year off with a clean slate...sounds good to me.

    Selling a book will give you a boost as well.

    Great list darlin', and also fabulous news about hitting the 25k mark :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh geez, Robin, do I have to? I can't guarantee you'd get yours back (finished at least) for another two years. LOLOL!

    Seriously, I've shoved around that afghan I started around so many times... I need to just finish the thing and be done with it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Tilly. :) And oh, boy, starting the new year off with a clean slate does sound fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will be busy!!!! :) Happy TT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cora,

    I recently had a post about I Am Legend up at my blog, so you might want to check it out. Tell the other moon maids hello from me when you hear from them. :)

    http://cerriellis.blogspot.com

    oh, and I love the new masthead design at your cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just thought you should know, I came by earlier, took a look at your list...and took a nap :) (the nap would have happened anyway). My to do list is almost that long, if I sat down and wrote it. Maybe for next weeks TT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL You're actually going to give away shoes???? I don't think I could ever do that.

    And, the Handmaids Tale was fascinating!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy TT, no nonsense girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the heads up, Cerri! I dropped by your blog. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL, Ann! ^_^ Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, it's sooo hard to give away the shoes. I'm not so much a shoe buff (in comparison to my purse fetish :P) but gosh, they're snowballing me when I go searching for clothes. LOL! Gotta do something for safety's sake. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting list. Is it possible to reduce a TBR list? Don't they just keep growing as long as you live?

    The Mist was a novella that appeared in one of King's books about 20 years ago. Normally they start making movies of King's stories almost before the ink is dry, so I don't know why it has taken this long.

    Btw you your preferences set so that people who don't use Blogspot can't get links :( You need to change it to allow "other" identitites.

    http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nicholas :) I'm not sure if true TBR reduction is possible, but temporary reduction is a definite yes. I have to shave down some of my TBR stack - books are taking over the house. So, I'll have to sort through the ones I don't think I'm going to be able to get to after all, and ship the best looking ones off to the troops and donate the others to charity. Otherwise I won't have room for more books.

    Thanks for the info on The Mist. I went through my King books, and I don't think this is one I've ever read. It should be really fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.