Friday, October 12, 2007

Yugi Fish, RIP 2004-2007

Our beloved Yugi Fish died yesterday at the grand old age of three years. We got him around the time I discovered I was preggers with Mini, so he's been around for longer than it seems.

I remember the exact day Oldest and Hubby brought him home. Yugi was one of those "fish in the plant" critters. He came in a HUGE vase with a water ivy - or whatever it's called- growing in a plastic cup stuck in the neck of the vase. Supposedly the plant provided nutrients to the fish, and vise versa. I'm not so sure that's true though, since the fish outlived the plant. Yugi eventually had to be transplanted to an aquarium.

As beautiful as the whole "fish in the plant" set up was, I sniffed when I saw Yugi the first time. "NO MORE PETS" has been my mantra now for the past five years. We have the typical family - the men: hubby and children - yip and moan wanting pets, then leave me to care for them all. (But you're the MOMMY!!!) So, I had to put a ban on animals to keep the men in straight jackets away. However, I openly admitted to the family years ago, that Yugi wasn't a bad catch after all.

Out of all our critters - dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish - over the years Yugi was the only one that never gave me a headache. First of all, he never bit me. (The guinea pig, on the other hand...) I also never tripped over him, had to shoe him out the front door, wrangle him into the bathtub, and never once did he yowl in the middle of the night. Content in his water bed, Yugi would swim around contentedly, and come to the top of the water to food hunt when you'd approach his tank. As far as pets go - better manners I have never seen. So may the gods and goddesses rest you, gentle fish. You were a fine, finned friend.

Just for the record, no we didn't flush him. I don't have the heart for that. We buried him in the back yard under the oak tree next to his predecessor, a speckled goldfish named Freckles. ;)

Today is bill paying day, so I have a dozen errands to run. I'd hoped I could have a lengthy writing day, but it's not going to happen, at least not until later. Too, hubby has to work this weekend, and the house needs a quick coat of paint (which I must buy today) so I'm wondering how much I'll be able to accomplish as far as the wip goes. It's frustrating, but what can you do? I've printed up a chapter to mend while sitting with Mini in the den during his Bigfoot Monster Trucks cartoon. I hope I can at least get half of it edited so I can move on. It feels like I've been stuck in the same spot forever. I've been so stop/start with this story lately I'm quickly getting sick of it. :P Gotta get it finished asap!

It's getting cooler here finally. It's still warm enough for shorts and flip flops, but it's windier outside, and that wind is getting cooler by the day. It's only a matter of time before the first frost, so we must winterize now while the wasps are down but it's not exactly cold out. We're having a new CH/A put in asap, and today I'm bringing in two new carpets - one for the den and one for our bedroom. Next weekend, I'll be putting down fresh tile in the bathroom. We need to paint the house too - a sealing precaution, and I told hubby we need to put a coat of clear sealant over the bricks as well. I's don't lieks to be cold. :P So here starts a fun time for me - NOT - but it has to be done, and somebody has to do it. (But you're the MOMMY!!!)

Yes, yes, I know...

6 comments:

  1. awwww, I'm so sorry. Those Betas do seem to live for a really long time. That and pond gold fish. I had some that lived 7 years and probably would have gone on a lot longer if a dog hadn't jumped in the pond, probably wearing some kind of flea dip or something, because the next day all the fish were dead. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cora, I'm so sorry to hear about Yugi. :(

    And I know what you mean about mums and pets. We got a kitty-cat for my daughter, except, since I'm the one that's home... he's kinda become my cat. ;) Lol. But he's such a cutie.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about the fishie hon!
    i miss having pets. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, Samantha! That's so sad!
    :( I would love to have a gold fish pond, but I know I don't have the time to care for something like that. There was once a big fountain in town that had goldfish - I used to love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it exactly, Yolanda. This fish started out as Oldest's, but I mostly took care of him. It's that mommy thing. lol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Rhian. I'm just glad the kids took it so well...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.