Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rare Ingredients?

Yesterday I drove to Ruston to get the prescription filled that I got from the dermatologist. After several days of icing down my hands because they've been bugging me, it decided it was time to bite the bullet and find a pharmacy that carries the medicine.

Up until that point, I'd tried every pharmacy in my area, and with each one it was the same thing. I'd show up and they'd tell me "Oh, we can get that". But they'd put in an order for it - what turns out to be a kind of special hand lotion - only to call me back two days later saying they can't seem to get one ingredient for the mix.

So, today I called my mom over, and we scoured the phonebook until we found a compounding pharmacy. We read off the prescription as best as possible to the people over the phone, and BINGO! Finally, we had a hit. They said they had the stuff to blend this lotion in stock.

Since Mini was still running a bit of temp from his puke-a-thon yesterday, he stayed with his grams while I took the Jeep on an out of town expedition for this lotion.

I didn't anticipate I'd be gone for so long, but what should've been a 1-2 hour trip, turned into 3. There was road construction on the way there, which slowed me down by about thirty minutes. The pharmacy itself was easy enough to find, but I parked in a place that later turned out to be a nightmare to back out of during the height of midmorning traffic.

Anyway, the compounding pharmacy took my 'script, and I filled out the info sheet. They then told me it would be an hour before I could pick up my stuff. *forehead smack* I don't know why, but I thought since we'd called and they had the ingredients, it wouldn't take that long. Bad me. They were apparently backed up by several orders, so I checked my cell phone for the time and left. The place NO benches, and NO items to browse. Seriously. It was an empty store with a pharamacy in back. Odd. So, I had to find something to do for an hour while waiting.

If I'd thought to bring a notebook, or my laptop, I could've gone to the library. But I didn't use any foresight beyond getting my prescription filled, so I ended up driving around until finally I dropped by my Godfather's dental practice to see if he was busy. He didn't have a lot of patients when I came in, so after a few minutes of idle chatting he looked at me and said, "When was the last time you had xrays taken?" I honestly couldn't remember.

So, I had a few Xrays taken - kind of a bizarre thing to do to pass the time, I guess, but it worked in a pinch. By the time my Xrays were through and we had a chance to look at them, it was time to go back to the pharmacy. (My teeth are in great shape, BTW.)

I went back across town, and this time I parked on a side street instead of right in front of the pharmacy - to save myself the trouble of trying to back out into oncoming noon traffic after my pick up. Ha! See how brilliant I am? :P They had my pick up ready when I walked in, and they even remembered my name. Not too shabby. I guess that can be counted though as a partial discount though, because that 3.5 ounces of hand lotion cost a staggering $70.00. What can you do though?

So, I carried my little baggie out to the Jeep and opened it to find what looks like an old school jar of Elmer's Paste. *_* The pharmacist assured me the stuff would last a while, and I'm hoping he's right. I rubbed some of this stuff on my hands and it is awesome.

When I got home (back through all that road construction!) Mini was sacked out. My mom was rocking him in the recliner. She'd worn him out. She knew he wasn't feeling well, but still took him outside to play in the swing, romp in the grass and all that stuff. It worried me a bit at first, what with his fever and all, but he didn't seem to get sick later in the day. So it's all good.

I didn't get much writing done at all, though. After settling Mini to bed, I opened my wip, but couldn't grasp where I was headed with it. After about twenty minutes of struggling with it, I shut it down and settled for reading a bit. The story isn't bad, I don't know what's holding me back. Whatever the case, today I must make up for lost time. Things have just been so hectic it's hard to stay focused. That will be my goal for today though - a full chapter rewritten. It's the least I can do to pull myself back on track.

That's it for me today. I need to break out the wip. I hope you all have a snazzy Tuesday!


  1. Sounds like a crazy day. :D Glad you finally got that special lotion though. Hope it helps!

    Also glad to hear that Mini is feeling a tiny bit better.

  2. OMG @ lotion price. Massive amount!



Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.