Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rainy Wednesday

I didn't quite make my writing goal yesterday. Darn it! I got most of the chapter written out, but decided to add this big chunk to the front of chapter four because... Well, I don't know why exactly. The chapter just seemed kind of "bald" in the beginning. I could picture my heroine running around on the set, whining, "Motivation? What's my motivation?" *forehead smack*

The beginning I added did wonders for that chapter, but it put me behind on getting the whole thing out of the way. I'm still tweaking on what I just added, and I'd hoped to be closer to chapter six at this point. All I can do is keep plugging away at it and hope there are no more interruptions - such as police jurors knocking on my door every five minutes begging a vote from me, more power outtages (we are at this very moment under a tornado watch), and the people from Gulf Consolidated who keep calling me every day begging us to subscribe to the "News Star" - to which we already have a subscription!

Despite this craziness, I have managed to put in a good 3k words through it all. *booty dance* This includes the power outtages, so I'm going to try not to stress over output too much. It's happening; the story is coming together, it's just not happening as fast as I would've liked.

I must admit, this whole contemporary story kind of reminds me of that great big lump of clay your art teacher gives you. The clay is hard as a rock, just gooey enough on the surface to get your fingers dirty and cake under your nails, and it's a bitch to mold into anything until you've rolled it around on your desk and BEAT ON IT with a shoe a few thousand times. Ha!

The mail man brought a package for me today, and when I saw the shape of it and Squee'd with joy. It's a first print hard cover edition of Faeries, by Brian Froud and Alan Lee. I had this book a long time ago, but a tattoo artist friend borrowed it from me and never returned it. At the time, I didn't know just how hard it would be to replace this version of the book.

Well, here it sits next to my comp, the new-old book, more beautiful that the original copy I had - in far better condition. My old copy was a library cast off, and had one of those crinkly, hard cello wraps over the dust jacket. This one looks like it just came off the book store shelf. Cool enough, there is a little tab inside the book, printed as part of the jacket flap that reads, "$14.95 until Dec. 31, 1978". Wow! I had no idea the book had been around for that long. I didn't discover the book until the early 1990s.

Today, I've posted a cool contest over at the Midnight Moon Cafe. If you can google, you can play! There's a bit of a free read attached to it as well, just for kicks. So if you'd like to try your hand for a chance at chocolates, books, and Jell-o (yes, you read that right, lol) drop by and give it a shot. Two winners will be announced Friday, October 19th!

That's it for me. I've been doing too much dawdling today. That, and baking pumpkin cookies with Mini, and playing indoor kickball. :P Heh. I blame the rain. Happy hump day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, pumpkin cookies. :D

    Yay for you finding that book you were after. That's totally exciting! I actually wrote a whole post about finding books today. Ha, ha. Great minds DO think alike. ;)

    I've been working on a novella scifi contemporary and my busy work schedule is seriously interfering. Remind me why I wanted a job again? I don't have time to write! And when I do I'm too tired. Grr...

    ROFL on your heroine asking for motivation. Only because I've worked with actors. The cliche is all too true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm on the way to pay you a visit, Isabelle. I'd dropped by earlier but you hadn't posted yet.

    Lucky duck, you wanted that job so you could be around BOOKS. Books all day long - and I still envy you. ^_^ Hang in there, hon!

    BTW, that scifi contemp. you're working on sounds interesting. I've been a Scifi mode lately - I think I should hit up NCP and buy a bunch of books.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^