Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Na-Na Na Na-Na-Na


If you ever need a reminder of your true age, buzz around YouTube.com for a while. Whether you are 24 or 84, the things you find on there will have you checking for wrinkles and ear cobwebs in no time flat. ^_^ At least I know by the comments on the site I'm not the only ancient soul that remembers the J. Geils Band. Ha!

You know, I remember a time when the song lyrics didn't sound quite so... sleezy? *_* LOL! The song still rocks though, and video is worth watching just to see Peter Wolf's little geeky classroom dance.(This is also obviously before they began putting cosmetically manufactured women in videos. It's amazing to see how far fashion and beauty ideals have changed!)

Last night I stayed up til about 2 am working on a particular chapter that - I don't know exactly. It doesn't gel right for me. Something's wrong with it. I picked it apart and rewrote it, adding and taking away until I couldn't make out what I was doing anymore because I'd read over it so many times. I made good progress on the section though, better than I have since last week, and so I'm not happy with that. I'm going to finish that up today and start on a new section.

I haven't updated much about the house hunt in quite a while. There hasn't been a lot of forward progress, although we have still been out and about looking. The owners of the dream house are still remodeling it, trying to do a last dash to boost the property value, I imagine. Hubby and I talked days ago, and we both agreed that if they're going to sell us the house, they're going to have to get on with it. We've tried to call them twice in the past few days, but they haven't returned our calls. We know there is no one else interested in the house at this point, so we can only guess they are trying to stall as much as possible.

I understand what they're doing, everyone wants more money out of their house, and they've put A LOT of time, money, and effort into updating. But with the whole Parish area in decline like it is, they're likely just throwing their money away. A couple of similar houses have cropped up on the market here in the last month, and they are a fraction of what these folks are asking. The location of their home is the only plus.

Now, if we are to be of any help to my parents, we need to be out by the end of the year and in a new place. Given how long it takes to push the paperwork through (which is really a lot of bullshit, in my opinion) it would take us at least a month to get everything in place to actually hand over any money. So, this will have to be done sometime around November - no later. Otherwise, my parents will have to rent somewhere before taking over our house. And well, if they have to sign a lease, they'll be as good as trapped.

So, after yet another unsuccessful attempt to reach the sellers of the dream house, I called about another place - this one is actually owned by a couple my parents are acquainted with. The house is a traditional 2 story (nothing fancy-schmancy) with a full porch, 3 bedrooms, and 3.5 bathrooms. There is a loft upstairs with sliding glass doors that lead out onto an upper story balcony deck = which overlooks the backyard and a lower deck that extends all the way across the back of the house. (I saw it and though - OMG, we'd totally have to gate off this deck, and the French doors, AND the inside staircase to keep Mini from clutzing it down some stairs.)

The house needs a bit of sheetrock work inside, but the owners gave me the estimate for repairs (you could even hear papers shuffling as we talked on the phone!), she said they would have the work done and simply add to the contract price if we were interested. She also had a recent appraisal in hand, and I learned from her that an actual appraisal in our area is only good for 90 days, so yeah - the appraisal is very recent.

They are selling for about 15k less than the appraisal value for this house (after repairs), and the woman told me that if that house wasn't to our liking, they had two others they are looking to get rid of quickly. Also, they will sell additional acreage (the house itself comes with 2 acres) for $4k an acre extra. From what I understood, she and her husband are selling everything so they can move down south to live near their family. She said no reasonable offer would be refused.

When Hubby got home from work, I told him about the phone call, and I thought he wasn't too impressed. However, I got a text from him at work this morning saying he was leaning toward making an offer on this house. Or, purchasing a few acres from them, and having a house built. So there's a step forward. *booty dance*

I better get started on my wip. Wednesday... What happened to Monday? Ah well, hope you all have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Gawd, house hunting sounds stressful. Glad we rent!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole house search is so hard for you guys! Goodness... the house market is in shambles as it is, so I'm sure that just makes it the more difficult. *hugs* I hope it improves soon.

    And thank you Cora, for always having ur pompoms at the ready. Means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... sorry to hear things aren't moving forward as they should. I hope you can be in your new house by the new year. :)

    BTW, love the video! It brought me lots of memories. Dang, I remember seen that band on MTV - the original MTV, which used to play music all day, all the time. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.