Monday, September 17, 2007

From the Makers of the World's Tiniest Violin

Everything feels completely out of whack this morning. Yesterday afternoon, right after the boys came in from church with their Gram, hubby went to turn on the TV and it wouldn't come on. No spark, no sizzle. It just up and died. I had already taken Mini for a nap, and hubby came and poked his head around the door and told me the alarming news. :P

We've had this TV for about 7 years now, and the volume has been acting wonky for a few years running. However, this was my hubby's "baby". The 52 inch projection TV that I "allowed" him to have. Whatever. I wouldn't let him buy a used one off the back of some guy's truck, and made him go to Best Buy, but you get the idea.

When the TV was about four or so years old, a lightning strike KILLED everything plugged in on that side of the house - phone, coffee pot, the stereo, the surround sound system, the satellite box, the DVD and VCR players, and hubby's "baby". We luckily still had the TV under warranty and after a week of TV-less madness, a guy came out and repaired it for us. After that the TV worked good as new... erm, almost.

The volume thing cropped up around that time. You'd be watching the news, or cartoons or something and all is merry in the world, then suddenly you'd hear static, or nothing at all. You'd have to go over to the surge protector, click it off, then on again, and the sound would come back.

Okay. I knew when we started having to do that, it was only a matter of time. It was like having something fragile sitting on the edge of a really high shelf. You can see it, and you know it's moment is coming so you try to keep an eye on it, but you know the next really good bump is going to hurl it over the edge.

Well, it happened. No bump, of course, and the TV went quietly, but I knew when it died, I might as well roll up my sleeves and break out the mop.

We don't actually watch a lot of TV, but we are one of those crazy families that has a TV running all the time. It's our noise barrier in the house, and it throws off light too, so I guess it's also part lamp. When I came out of the bedroom from putting Mini down for his nap, I met hubby in the living room. He had his boots on, his cap, and was pacing. He looked very much like a stern relative ready to discuss funeral terms.

"So what do you want to do?" he asks me.

Of course we have to have another TV. Mini would go berzerker on us if he's unable to watch Meteor Monster Trucks and Wow, Wow, Wubzy. :P But Hubby wants to talk HDTV and flat screens. I don't care about those things! I want peace, order, strategic replacement!

I simply told hubby to buy the cheapest tele with a large enough screen that I.Can.See. (Hey, it beats getting new glasses. :P)

It wasn't the actual getting of the TV that turned out to be a mess. But removing the other TV - which roughly had the bulk of a refrigerator sitting in our living room - is another story. There were so many wires and devices connected to that TV, I never attempted to move it away from the wall unless I absolutely had to. The last time that thing was pulled out was the week after the lightning strike, and bats had come flying out from behind it then. So when hubby and Oldest pulled out the old TV, I was prepared for the layer of dust thick as a coat of paint.

As if my allergies weren't already bad enough, I swept and swiffered. I sprayed Pledge and dusted. We rearranged furniture in the living room, and then the doll room. I had to pull an entertainment center from there to set the new TV on. More sweeping and swiffering ensued. More Pledge and dusting. After an hour or so, we finally had the new, yet considerably smaller TV situated in the corner. Hm.

It's a nice TV, don't get me wrong. You don't send two gadget junkies to the store with a check book and think they're going to bring you home a dinosaur. Oh no. They picked a smart, 37inch flat screen with HDTV - which now has more remotes connected to it than I know what to do with. The color is certainly sharper and brighter. What gets me is it doesn't look like same living room anymore. I get that feeling, "Is this my house?" whenever I walk in there now.

Ah, well. Give me a week or so and I'll get used to it. But it's oddity overkill today. It's a Monday for one thing, but this is also hubby's first day on a new project, which means I'm back home alone with Mini. At least for a few hours. Today is also doctor day. I am having allergy fits so bad, I'm heading in for shots. Mom is coming over around noon to corral Mini and take over the helm. :P

As for writing, my free writing days are over for a time. I managed to run OVER my projected goal for the weekend, so I'm all happy, happy, joy, joy about that. But I now have to get back to a managed schedule. That kind of bites, but to be honest, I think I'm more dedicated to forward progress when I'm on a time table every day. So maybe it won't be as hard a change up as I've been imagining.

Well, there you have it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Off to the writing cave. Hope your Monday is a productive one!


  1. Oh man. I don't even want to think about what it would mean if the TV or computer went out in my house. There's be absolute madness... for sure.

    You work really well with a schedule, so no worries about you WIP. I know you'll get it done. Your discipline is like nothing I've ever seen. lol

  2. Those few hours without a tele were luckily during Mini's naptime. LOL! He would've demanded to know why we were shoving HIS tv outside. ^_^


Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.