Monday, August 27, 2007

Mommy Doesn't Have Her Head Anymore

Hubby went in for jury duty this morning, and thankfully they cut him loose. For whatever reason, they ended up not needing a jury. The guy pled guilty, or some such thing. After court, he went and bought wrapping paper for Oldest's gifts, so you can guess what I'll be doing later on this evening. ;)

My parents are starting to get antsy over the housing situation. They dropped by to visit the kids on Sunday, and my mom nearly fell to tears at my dining table. Hubby and I have done everything we can, and we could get them into the house faster if they weren't so adamant that we stay in the area. I know it's good to be close to one another in case we need help, or they need help, but when you need housing, you need housing...

Mom told me they asked about a tract of undeveloped land down the road from us, and could hardly believe it when the owner quoted them 50k. I think they are finally grasping the struggle hubby and I have been going through. There is a housing slump across the nation, yes. But if people are pushing to get into your area, that really doesn't matter too much. Prices will remain high. And they have here because of people pushing to get into our school district. Land and housing in this zone doesn't stay on the market long, and the prices are damn ridiculous unless you somehow manage to pick off a shack.

We lucked out when we got our current house. We just happened to be searching when the prices had sunk. That was over ten years ago. Since then, a lot of the area schools have been lumped into one or two larger schools, and the one in our district is one of those that took the least hit from all the consolidation. You wouldn't think that would effect housing much, but it does. There are fewer than five houses available here, and while they are lovely, they are well out of our price range.

I'm not sure what my parents expectations are, but finding a 1 acre tract in this area is nearly impossible. Hubby and I are now thinking of clearing off the back of our acre, and having a house built for them. We've also thought about buying a more expensive land tract and using it for collateral to have a house built for us. These are just the latest options. The pic above is one of the housing plans we've actually looked at. If we don't find anything between now and the next project, once hubby is back on the job site, we will set up a consultation with a home builder just to get some estimates. This is a last resort.

Onto the writing things...
I haven't posted much updates on the wip lately. It's been hard to focus. The demons are coming along nicely, I'm adding a bit daily, and aside from that I've been scrawling down ideas for another story into a notebook - a contemporary. It may end up a paranormal before it's all said and done, but for now the folks are barebones normal.

That's it for me today. Mini is asleep in my arms and my right thigh is going numb. :P Hope you all have a pleasant Monday!

6 comments:

  1. A cruise doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. *hugs*

    Don't worry. When the stress lessens, the WIP will come more fluidly. Stress is a serious mental block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry this is taking so long. Sigh...still though, there is always Kentucky! Hee, hee...

    Ya'll come on over.

    Oh and btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    I baked you a cake, but I left it at RD. Check it out in Chit chat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by to say happy birthday!


    Re the housing thing...that's bad, but hey, at least you're not in the UK. The house we rent--a 3-bed townhouse, maybe 1200 square feet in all (I'm not kidding, it really is that small), right on te street, with a tiny garage and no driveway--sells for about £180,000. That's just over $360,000.00.

    And that's cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle, we'll have to trot off and sneak in that cruise. Stress has definitely been a clincher as of late, but it's getting better thankfully. We're hanging in there, and really I guess that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cass, don't be shocked if I show up on your doorstep, LOL! Oh geez... you think Kentucky could handle the both of us?

    Oh wow! Another cake for me on RD! I gotta check it... I LOVED the one you left on myspace. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, December! I know not to come to the UK for housing - we're budgeted for about half of that, a little more or less. We'd be living in a cardboard box, for sure! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.