Monday, August 06, 2007

Gabba Gabba Hey

What a day! I did a bit of writing early on, albeit not as much as I had hoped. Still, it's a step in the right direction. I tweaked the demons a bit - a chapter I already had written - and plan to do more tonight once Mini is asleep.

Hubby came home early today, and he'd just flopped down on the couch when the phone rang. I checked the caller ID and thought, Louisiana State? First thing that crossed my mind: taxes. Shit! But hey, wait a minute. HnR Block has that guarantee right? Hubby nudged me, "Well, are you gonna answer it?" so I stopped hand wringing and picked up the phone. The woman asked for me by my full name, and I kinda went blank. "Yeees..."

It wasn't the state calling me, per se. It was the nurse from the local clinic where I used to take Mini for his infant shots, and monthly weigh-ins. Believe it or not, she was calling to offer me a job. :-o

Bizarre as it sounds, she remembered that I had breastfed Mini for his first year, and had been impressed with some of the things we'd talked about while I was taking him in for his regular checkups. She said a new position has come about at the clinic - "a peer counselor" position, which is someone who talks to women about the positive side to breastfeeding. She said that I came straight to mind when the position was created, and that I was her first choice for the job. That kind of floored me, since I didn't realize I'd said anything extraordinary. However, she gave me the details about the job, how many hours and week and the pay. The pay stunned me a bit. I'd thought we were talking volunteer work, but apparently that's not the case. I thanked her for considering me, and while I told her I wasn't really looking for work at the moment, I also said I'd discuss it with my husband. She said she'd leave an application for me at the front desk to pick up tomorrow, and hoped I'd come in.

Well, there's my shocker for the month. I am very busy these days, and we are not sure where we will be from one day to the next, but I am considering very hard in taking her up on the offer. The money is good, and I'd only have to work a few hours a week. I really need to think it through though, because I wouldn't want to leave Mini in daycare. I've never liked having to do that - too many day care horror stories on the news these days. Maybe I could leave him with a relative for 10 hours a week? That's the only way I could do it. I'd worry too much otherwise. Again, lots to consider on that front...

Speaking of jobs, hubby's boss told him the project needs to end "this week". So, as soon as all the job materials get sorted and crated up, hubby will be able to have a break. He needs it. We're all burned out and tired, and we're all plotting where we're going to go on vacation once he's home. I personally want to go to Babyland General in Georgia, LOL, but I imagine we'll be going somewhere like Hot Springs. It all remains to be seen.

And that's my Monday. Odd, but good. Hope you all had a good one, too! ^_^

4 comments:

  1. I love the new homepage. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch, Scooper! ^_^ I'm quite happy with the new look: it's both fun and naughty, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's amazing. :D It's nice to hear that someone remembers you over something like that though, isn't it? Makes you feel like a great mom. ;) I know it would me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the job will be good. Extra income. Maybe to help pay the new house. It's something to consider. *wg* It was good that she remember you enough to think of you for that job :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^