Sunday, June 10, 2007

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?


In the news lately it has been mentioned that there are a startling lack of bees these days. Apparently the bees have been dying off due to a form of parasite, which in many ways works on their immune system like HIV does in a human. Scientists believe this is from the use of pesticides that has affected their reproduction, and is carried on to in genetic make up to the later generations of bees.

A few weeks before the news reported about this, the purple sage bloomed out in our rock garden. Normally this big bad daddy bush has swarms of bees on it. So much so, I won't go near it in spring and summer because anything that bzzzzz-es gives me the complete heebie jeebies. However, hubby parked my Jeep too close to the sage, and so I had to approach the rock garden to do my weekly errands. That day, I noticed in passing that only a few bees were lingering around the bush. Like 2 bees, as opposed to the normal 8 or 10. I even mentioned to hubby just HOW LUCKY he was that there weren't more, otherwise I'd have been calling him at work to come home and move the Jeep. Heh.

At the time I thought this was a really good thing - only 2 bees, and strapped Mini into the carseat without a second thought. About three weeks after that incident, I heard about the bees dying off on the news.

Okay, I mean, I'm not the brightest light on the Xmas tree, but I am intelligent enough to understand the importance of bees and pollination. When I heard what we'd be reduced to eating if bees stopped flower-hopping, it alarmed me. It's really sad to see the bees in the shape they are in at this point, and although I haven't gone out protesting in the name of bees or anything, or started a bee wildlife fund, I have started looking for signs indicating what the news has been talking about. (Other than the sage bush, I mean.)

Today while coming home from a movie renting excursion, Hubby and I drove along the main HWY near our home, which has thick trees along one side of it. The trees are on private property, a bit pushed back from the road, and when looking at that stretch, it looks like a solid wall of green year round. Typically this time of year the trees along this stretch of highway would be covered in blue wisteria. For those that haven't been in close proximity to that much wisteria, when it grows en masse like that, you can smell it inside your car even with the air conditioner running. It's a very syrup-y sweet smell. A heavy fragrance, that kind of like a mix of honeysuckle and magnolia.

Anyway, we've lived here for more than 10 years, and there has always been wisteria. I noticed just today there is no wisteria along the usual stretch, no smell of it when you pass, and now that I think about it, I haven't seen any of it this year. Not a speck. Sad, very sad... It usually crops up around April or May when things start warming up. *shakes head* I hope this isn't a sign the bees have flittered off elsewhere.

On another note, it's been a nice, sunny day. Hubby and I picked up a set of cheap lawn chair so we can lounge around in the backyard and watch Mini splish splash in his baby pool. Oh, yeah... we're rocking the baby pool look this season. LOL!

Happy Sunday ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.