Monday, June 25, 2007

Room For Two

Hubby and I went to view "the house" yesterday. We talked to the current owner, went through the house and asked about the ammenities (and any potential problems), and also did a walk around the yard.

It's a traditional 3 bedroom that was probably built sometime in the 1930s. It has that old white slate siding on it, but it's in great shape - completely modernized, and all that. It does have that deep south country look about it, but the yard is amazing.

It's on 2 acres, has fruit trees - fig, apple, and peach. There is also this HUGE shade tree on one side of the yard that's begging for a swing, and on the other side of the house, there's a well maintained slate storage building with covered car port. It's a perfect place for a couple.

Hubby took my dad over to view the property after we did a walk through on the house, and my dad loved the place. Loved it. And he's usually not happy unless the house he's living in is closed in by a fortress of trees. This house is surrounded by pastures.

The minute my mom arrived at our house, dad stole her away to go look at the place. She looked a bit intimidated and overwhelmed when she came back. She liked the house and she agreed the land was beautiful, but I think it finally dawned on her for the first time that the move was impending, and it was real - not just something we talk and plan about. I wish she hadn't been so nervous about it, but I guess that's a natural part of leaving a place you've lived for 16 years. For me, yesterday was a bit like looking into the not so distant future - I have always known I would have to take care of my parents when they are older, but just like mom, I think it finally dawned on me for the first time yesterday, and it is no less intimidating or overwhelming.

On a lighter note, once all the house hunting had settled yesterday, hubby went out and filled Mini's baby pool. We put him into a pair of Little Swimmers (Mini, not hubby) and out he went. He had a blast in that pool - and when it came time to go back inside, much drama ensued. The happy peace was good while it lasted. ^_^

I have a third of the demons story written now, and I guess I'll be working on that again today. Speaking of writing, this is the release week for my new book Dominant Territory. (June 29th) I will have an author interview up at the Midnight Moon Cafe this coming Thursday, and will be giving away a copy of the book on Friday. So if you have a few minutes to spare, I hope you'll drop by the Cafe and say hi.

That's it for me today. I have a mountain of laundry calling me this morning. Ho hum. How the heck does this stuff pile up so fast? Now there's a mysterious question to ponder...

Happy Monday, everyone! ^_^

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your book, Cora! :*) Cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for your parents! I really hope this works out for them. Change is always frightening, but, in the end, we usually find it's just what we needed.

    ROFL about hubby wearing the Little Swimmers. Ha, ha. You're bad.

    Congrats on the release! Can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Demon! I hope you like the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom is better about the house today. More excited. I think dad boosted her up more about it once they got home and had a chance to discuss it in private. It's just like you said, change is frightening. Once they move and settle, they'll probably never look back. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whee! Release week! The most fun there is!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^