Friday, June 01, 2007

No More Loafing

I got my 3rd round of edits this morning, so I'm almost there! I've downloaded them and given them a once over, I just need to go through and actually make/accept the changes. There's not much to do this round - approve formatting and such. My editor, Leanne, has been a gem to work with. Absolutely wonderful. I'm very happy with the way this book has turned out so far.

Once I get those in, I'm going to focus on the demons again. I wrote a full page yesterday, but didn't get much more than that. After mom's birthday party, she told Mini to pack a bag and he could stay with her until dark. So Mini went off to my parents for a few hours. This is the first time he's EVER gone over there without me or his dad, so it was new for him. He had a really good time coloring and all that jazz, exploring the house, etc. ^_^

Speaking of mom, here is the birthday cake I baked for her. (The candles look like balloons up close.) Mini helped... ^_^ There's not much left of it now, I'm sad to say. I'm surprised Oldest isn't in sugar shock right now...

I got a newsletter in from the Nelson Literary Agency. I subscribe to it because of the writing tips. If you're not getting that newsletter, I highly recommend it. Visit Pub Rants to sign up. This week's edition had an article in it about knowing when to toss in the towel on a project. I have an age old project I've been clinging to since before I even heard of ebooks, and I have several writer friends who have been shopping around stories they wrote in the early 90s that aren't going anywhere. It's interesting to read about this from an agent's perspective, and their advice is to let it go.

I have at least one story I have let go of in the past few weeks. Reading the newsletter reminded me of that. While sorting through my BOX (crypt) of dead manuscripts in my doll chamber office, I found one story I have rewritten about fourteen times. I sat on the floor a few minutes, read through the first few pages, then took the whole thing and tossed it in the trash. Not because of any newsletter - I hadn't read that yet. I threw it away because I immediately saw how far I've come in my writing, and comparing that with the quality of my old manscript, I wouldn't want that thing put out there in my name. The idea behind the story may one day be suitable for something else, but definitely not "as is". The entire manuscript would have to be broken down and reworked, from characters to plot, and if you have to go that far, you might as well start from scratch. *dusts hands* Let go, complete.

With that said, I'll close for today. I wish I had time to loaf alllll day, but I have errands to run. Ho hum. ^_^

Happy Friday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are busy. Best of luck to you. By the way, Yum, I want cake! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice about just knowing when to fold 'em. :)It's a hard thing to do sometimes, to seperate from our babies, but really, there's only so much we can do before it's a moot point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mia! Great weekend to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle, it is VERY hard to let go of some stories. I do still have the manuscript crypt here. I need to buff up my courage, go in there and cull more than one from the lot. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^