Friday, June 15, 2007

Duck and Cover

I really, really wanted to stay up til around midnight last night writing. While I did pretty well, around 11pm, I just couldn't hang with the demons anymore. I was doing more screen staring than actual writing. Damn shame, really. Mini was snoozing without a twitch, and the house was perfectly quiet.

Today is errand day, and I also have to pick up a few gifts for Father's Day. So I guess this is a bit of a reminder... if you haven't picked up something for dear ol' dad, Sunday is the big day. My goal for the day is to pick out something for both hubby and my dad that doesn't completely suck. I swear, these two are the hardest to shop for out of the entire family.

I don't have a lot to post about today, so I'll close with a karma check:

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog.

There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.

"I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life."

"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel.

"Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.

"Yes," the farmer replied proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education my own son will enjoy. If the lad is anything like his father, he'll no doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of." And that he did.

Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in time, graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.

Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was stricken with pneumonia.

What saved his life this time? Penicillin.
The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name?
Sir Winston Churchill.


Someone once said: What goes around comes around.
Always remember: Kindness matters.

That's it for me today folks! If I plan to get any writing done today, I better hop to it. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! ^_^

4 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for the reminder about father's day!!!!

    I did the same thing last night... I finally had a night I could write and planned on staying up to do so. Apparently all the other late nights I've been having finally caught up with me. :( I didn't make it to 11!

    Good luck on getting everything done!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. that's pretty amazing, that karma check. Good stuff. A great reminder that we need to be kind, because hey, what goes around... well you know. :)

    Some nights, we have to listen to our body and just give it up. The demons will be there tomorrow. *hugs* So don't fret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been staying up too late the last few days and my kids for whatever reason have been getting up extra early! So I think tonight I need to go to bed at a reasonable time. My body is not holding up very well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the karma check was there for a reason; and it was a valuable lesson to us all...but I can't help it; I'm a history buff--that story is just a myth. Sir Fleming actually inherited the money from his uncle.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^