Friday, May 04, 2007

Still Treading Water

WARNING: Rant alert! Read at your own discretion...

Yesterday, I planned a ton of work on my wip. I had the chapters separated, marked out and ready for the changes to be made. I poured a cup of coffee, sat down at the comp... and right as I open my manuscript a truck pulls up in the drive. It was my mom. I thought something must be up, because she usually on drops by on Wednesdays, so I opened the door - and that's when I saw she had her laundry with her. *sigh*

I don't know why she picked that particular day for laundry; it was a very spur of the moment thing. She comes in and says, "I won't disturb your writing, I just want to use your washer and dryer. I'll sit in the den with Mini while it's going. You won't hear a peep from us."

Of course I won't deny her use of the laundry room, but I do know better by now. When my mom is over, writing is out. She agreed to sit with Mini once so I could reach a deadline, and every little thing he did, "Oh, honey! Did you see that?!" No, mom, I'm supposed to be writing, remember? So... rather than frustrating myself with a futile attempt, I closed the laptop, and entertained my mother from 9am til noon. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice visit. I love my mom, and we are very close, but oy, by the end of that time, Mini was screaming for a nap - he wouldn't take one while she was there - and I was frothing at the mouth. When hubby dragged in for lunch, I had just put Mini down for his nap. I just looked at him and said, "Prepare for a LONG evening of babysitting, dear."

Why, oh why, can't the family accept that final manuscript days are off limits? I know my mom doesn't recognize my writing for anything, but why can't those last few days be no-visitation, no-two hour long phone call days for me. Is that really asking so much? I am available all the other 362 days of the year and no one stops by. Why only when I have a project running down to the wire? I need those last few days to get things pull together and wrapped up. Very disappointing to say the least. :(

Last night, I managed to get a chapter completed, two chapters separated, rearranged, and remarked. I also managed to rewrite a section toward the back. I still have to make the changes on the computer... and after that there are still three more chapters left to go. *faint*

I have a LOT of work to do between now and Sunday.

At around 11pm last night, I took apart chapter four and completely red marked it for editing. I'll have that one finished in a pinch because it's ready to go. But I really, really wanted a bit more time to put an extra effort on chapter 2. Ah, well. We'll see how this goes.

At least it's Friday!!

4 comments:

  1. Ack, I'm sorry, Cora. That's really frustrating. Hope you make your deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that's so frustrating. *hugs*

    Just do what you can in the time you have left. Sometimes, we have to plan the unexpected, you know? I hate that things ALWAYS come up on down to the wire days. It's like a rule or something. I'm sure you'll get it all done. You've got incredibly work ethic and you work FAST. It's just a matter of getting the time. *cheers* You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{hugs}}} Hope today was better, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of the most productive and organized people I sort of know. lol You'll make it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^