Monday, April 16, 2007

Sun, Sand, and Manuscripts

See that beach. I wish I was there, laying out on the sand, frying my winter white hide into freckled oblivion. I'd order a marguerita, put on my huge, mosquito style sunglass and lounge away - secretly checking out every set of man abs within view. *lol*

However, the vacation is over. No beach for me. Oldest is back to school today, and I'm back to business. I spent the weekend relaxing and reading, and TV browsing. (I did a bit of wip tweaking and stripping, but not too much.) Time to get on the wagon again.

I read MaryJanice Davidson's Undead and Unemployed in one sitting on Saturday. What a fabulously funny book. I loved every minute of it! Betsey, flaky though she may be, has a heart of gold. I absolutely love her. I usually chuck a book with flaky characters; however, I never get tired of reading about her. (Or Sinclair. *drool*)

I also (finally) finished reading Over the Moon, the anthology with Angela Knight, MJD, and a few other authors. I don't know why it has taken me so many weeks to read that one. I actually prefer to read anthologies, and/or short stories. With kids and a husband running around needing something different every five minutes, it's easier for me to get through a book. However, something about this book made it very hard for me to read. The stories were okay; the writing was fine.... I don't know what it is. Just one of those books where I didn't connect, I guess. Instead of dropping it in the donate bin, I put it back on the shelf to try rereading parts of it later. Sometimes I can go back and "get it" - whatever it was that didn't mesh with me on the first reading. Alas, I shall try again.

Mini Milestones... Yesterday, Mini got his first "bike". He's been admiring his big bubba's mountain bike and likes to go out and have someone sit him up on it. It's not easy to stand around out in the yard holding up a toddler on a big ol' bike, and that being the case, we decided it was time to fish out a tricycle.

Mini was soooo thrilled when he saw it. "Bike, bike!" and all that. He hasn't learned to pedal it yet, although he knows where his feet are supposed to go. I guess he just hasn't built up the pedal-oompa. He'll get there.

Oldest is whining about approaching summer. It just dawned on him over the weekend that there is roughly two months left of school - not even that, really. For all the bazillion taxes there are in this state, there really isn't anything here for the kids - parks are few and far between, there is no public pool. I love hiking, and would love taking the boys, but campsites aren't kept that well here either. Cloud Crossing (part of Kisatche National Forest) is in shambles. Unless you want to visit the people who live in RVs there year round, or canoe through a sea of West Nile Virus *cough, cough* I mean, mosquitoes, it's not really the place to be.

I'm wondering what I'm going to do with Oldest. (IF he doesn't have to go to summer school.) There aren't any kids on our street his age, and the only cousin he had lives about five states over. I considered sending him out there since he's never met his cousin, but Oldest acts kind of "meh" about that. What can you do? Maybe to Space Camp, if he wants to? I really don't know what to do for the poor guy. Guess if he can't decide it will be another summer of going to the lake, grass mowing, and round the clock channel surfing. Not that that sort of thing sounds to bad too me. (Am I really that old?)

Anyway, that's it for me today. It's after 9. I stayed up waaaay too late last night watching reruns of Outback Jack, and by this hour, I should be writing something. *looks longingly at the beach...*

Happy Monday, folks!

14 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the need for a holiday myself, Cora. Just need to get away for a couple of nights. We're thinking of going to MIL's in May.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beach looks amazing. I would love to go there.

    Mini looks adorable on the bike. I have a little cousin who is obessed with his dad and brother's dirt bikes. He even mentions them in the family prayers. LOL

    Get to work, woman! You have a wonderful story you have to finish so we can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww sweet pic of youngest Cora :) They're lovely at that age... makes me kinda broody :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Cora! I love the picture of your little one on the bike! He's so cute!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I'm not alone, ME. That's how I feel - a few nights and I'll be refreshed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll join you at the beach, Isabelle. I'll bring the towels and the cooler, you bring the lounge chairs. Oh, wait... shucks! You're telling me I need to work first. *snaps fingers*

    That's too cute about the dirt bikes in the family prayers! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks Lucy! He's my little snuggler... has his good days and bad. Lately he's getting an early start on his terrible twos. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thanks Cole! Great to see you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Cora that picture is the most adorable thing. He's simply darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to go to the beach. Its not very far for me but I never seem to make it there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mini looks so cute in his "bike." Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, thanks, Samantha. ^_^ He's so proud of that bike, I had to post his pic. Hubby gets teary over this milestone. Hehe. Mini still hasn't learned to pedal, but he's giving it his best shot. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, gosh, Kelley if only I lived close enough to the beach... *sigh* I think our closest real beach is in Mississippi.

    We live about 5-10 minutes from our local lake depending on which side of it you want to go, but you have to pay to get in on the sand and really... it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tempest!! Where've you been?! Did sexy vampires kidnap you? ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.