Saturday, April 21, 2007

Is that werewolf smut you're reading?

Why, yes it is!

Yesterday afternoon, I took Oldest and Mini to go pick out a movie for the weekend, and to do a little Friday night food shopping. Since I didn't intend to actually go inside the video store, I tucked the book I'm currently reading into my bag on the way out the door.

As I'm sitting out in front of Movie Gallery waiting on Oldest, I began reading one of the smutty luuurve scenes, and suddenly it dawned on - geez, I'm reading this in public.

Not that I was about to fall into a When Harry Met Sally moment or anything like that, but a few years ago, right after I bought my first trade paperback erotic romance, I came across a forum comment by a woman who said she was too embarrassed to read her romance novels in public because of the covers.

At least a dozen people completely missed the point and hopped to the defense of the covers, blah, blah... Others told her to get an eReader - which were SUPER expensive at the time, being they were relatively new on the market. And a few people suggested she buy those cloth stretchy bookcovers - the ones that don't look like they'd fit anything, much less a trade paperback.

Recalling all this, I looked down at the cover of my Celeste Anwar smutfest and thought, Meh... who'd say anything about it? After all, it's only a sexy guy chained up... shirtless... rippling muscles... oh! and both nipples pierced *meow*... with the words UTTER DOMINATION emblazioned across the cover in red. Who's gonna notice that? A six year old? Not likely. A hot guy like the man on the cover? Um, again, not likely. Even if such men existed in my area, and if those men are anything at all like the males in my family, they couldn't tell you the color of the shirt their wearing RIGHT NOW unless they look down at it first, much less tell me what's on my book cover. So who is gonna care what I'm reading? Grandma Ellie and the church bake sale comittee? Ok. Now that's a distinct possibility...

I must say I don't often read books while waiting. It's my experience that if someone sees you reading a book, they disturb your reading to ask you about it, then lock you in a conversation about books. So I don't usually carry books around with me. Typically, I'd take a fashion magazine. However, now faced with the issue of being spotted reading a sexy book in public, I finally had a chance to consider the plight of just such a travesty. I guess, as it turns out, I generally didn't care as much as I thought I might. I certainly didn't feel the need to hide myself or the book from view.

As long as there's not an incongruent *cough, cough* body part exposed; as long as I'm not flashing Playgirl Centerfolds to unsuspecting passers-by, I don't see why reading trashy novels in public should cause any truly uncomfortable moments.

Oh, I guess if someone stopped long enough to actually spot the cover, they might say something to me. Or, they might just quietly walk by, never saying a word all the while rolling around a few shocked thoughts in their mind: Oh, my... did that say what I thought it did? Was that guy chained? They might even think something along the lines of: I can't believe she was reading that. That woman must be some kind of closet freak! - In which case, they could very well be right. :P

Horrendous consequences indeed. ^_^

BTW, the new Celeste Anwar is HOT. I just finished it last night. *drool*
Well, that's all for me today. Hubby will be home tomorrow, and I have demons to slay.
Happy weekend, folks!

7 comments:

  1. I do like that cover. Read it in the ebook format, so no one knew. LOL.

    Gotta check out the new book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! ^_^ I was very VERY tempted to get this book in eformat just to get it sooner, but at the time it first came out, I really had to cut back on spending. So glad I got to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take anything I'm reading with me. I don't care about covers. Unfortunately I can't take most of my books, since I have a lot in eformat, and I don't have a good reader. I mostly use my Ibook or my computer, when at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take my books everywhere, but you're right, I do get interrupted - a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed I get dirty looks when I'm at a kid function or waiting for my kids and reading a romance novel. It depends on the cover. I really don't care but I hate it when other moms come over and try to engage me in a conversation about my book, especially when I know they're going to run to different other moms and exclaim in shock at what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that cover is HAWT! That's the best way to have a man - chained. *winks*

    As for books, I don't take them with me. I carry a very small backpack, so it doesn't fit. Instead I carry my trusty iPaq to read my ebooks. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say the covers never really bothered me. Hot cover, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^