Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Check My Vital Signs

Ugh, I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. Hubby climbed out of bed sometime around 3 am, and I remember thinking: More power to ya, man - I'm going back to sleep! I did, too.

Mini woke me up sometime around 5:30 - how he miraculously appeared in the bed beside me, I have no idea, because I distinctly remember putting him in his Diego bed around midnight. He started chattering away, and my eyes started to cross, so I eased out of bed, took his hand and said, "Let's go look for daddy!" We found daddy netsurfing, so I lovingly handed over Mini and went back to our room and fell across the bed.

Hubby - such amazing man - let me sleep until 6:30! When he came in to let me know he was about to leave for work, I figured I better make it an effort to stay conscious. So here I am - with coffee - disoriented, but awake.

I finished a chapter yesterday, and today I'll start working on one I've put off since finishing the first draft. It's a scene I realized I'd left out, and the book needs it to keep from falling flat midstory. So that's my goal for the day. Write chapter. Self edit. Add to FINALs file.

Now for a daily dose of writing related questions...

This is for anyone who wants to answer, but it's a big plus if you write smut *cough* erotic romance like myself. When writing an erotic romance, when do you typically add in the first love scene? Have you ever written a story where the lovin' happened later on in the book, as opposed to the first few chapters? How far into the novel do you feel is "too late" to add the first love scene?

And that's all I can think of in that department. *need more coffee* Feel free to add, rinse, and repeat as necessary. I'll catch on soon enough. Happy Tuesday, folks!

5 comments:

  1. Days like that are tough. Keep the coffee hot. ;)

    I don't write erotica, but I think love scenes find their place in a story quite naturally, when the hero and heroine are to the point where there is no other choice for them. There's no running from it, no arguing about it. It's there and you just know that if they don't do it now, they'll implode. They're already frustrated from the mental and emotional foreplay, and they want each other so badly, that all the failed attempts have led to this moment. *shrugs* Is that total romance girl of me?

    It just seems that when it comes to that moment, I would just know. Then again, I'm a newbie. lol School me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Temptation, the first actual physical contact comes quite late in the story but there's a great deal of sexual tension / anticipation leading up to that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cora!

    I personally think it depends on the story and the characters. I've written tales where they don't get together until towards the end. Other times in the middle somewhere. Heck, one of the short stories I wrote a few weeks ago had them collide pretty early on. So, just go with the flow of your tale, I say.

    Have a great day!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu guys wake up early!! I can't function at that time, LOL.

    I don't write erotic romance, but my scence usually vary on how early I write them. No much help, I know, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I am taking it to heart. I'm just not feeling it with that first love scene so I stripped it out. Bleh. Maybe it can go in somewhere later. We'll see.

    Kelley, we do get up very early around here, and sometimes it's very late before we rush off to bed. If it weren't for coffee, I don't know what I'd do, LOL! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.