Friday, April 20, 2007

Aquaman Lives

Last night I stayed up writing til close to midnight before finally calling it quits. I did some patching and reworking here and there, and moved one scene from the front to the back. I decided to use it as an ending instead of a beginning. Crazy stuff. If nothing else comes of it, I have certainly put in my miles on this manuscript.

I stayed up long enough to catch glimpses of a movie called Stay Alive - I think - which was about a group of teens who were mucking around with a video game that if you die while playing it, you die for real. I came into it about 3/4s of the way, and I wish I'd seen the beginning of it. It's actually a lot better movie than it sounds. Cool special f/x. Very Silent Hill-esque. I told Oldest about it this morning and being the video game buff said, "Aw, man! I wanted to watch that!" So after school I'm going to drive him up to the movie store and see if they have it for rent. It had Elijah Wood in it, so I'm pretty sure it's there among the other titles somewhere.

I also "watched" that movie UltraViolet...which came on after the video game horror flick. I've seen UV one other time before and didn't really like it too much. Too much heroine posing with a sword for my taste. Even so, this time I paid a bit more attention to the story - not that I could summarize the plot for you or anything - and what I saw of it wasn't that bad. Not worth the rental fees, but okay to watch on a rainy day when nothing else is on TV.

Now for the writing bits...

I have a tough chapter I want to complete today. I've worked this one so many times it no longer resembles what I originally wrote and I hate that. It bugs the crap out of me. I'm not really sure what's wrong with the darn thing, but I get that "this is awkward" feeling whenever I read it. If I didn't actually need that chapter I'd cut the whole darn thing and leave it out. Hopefully it will make it to the FINAL file today, but that remains to be seen.

Either way I'm putting that chapter aside today. Either to the final file or it's off to manuscript oblivion - or where ever it is cut scenes go. I hate to lose the word count if I do scrap that one, but I've decided not to rework it again. So it's last chance here. I have my fingers crossed.... Losing that scene will put me back about 6k in the hole. Arg!

Beyond that, it's FRIDAY. *booty dance* Hubby called to tell me he has to work one extra day in Nowhereville, then he'll be able to come home. Can't wait! So we'll all see him Sunday.

Enough for today. I just asked the Magic 8 Ball on my desk if I should get to work, and when I gave it a shake, the answer came up: "It is decidedly so."

There you have it; wise words from the mystic oogly boogly 8 ball. Interpretation: Get off the ol' buns, Slacker. And so I shall...

Happy Friday, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Friday to you too Cora!

    Sounds like you're making great progress on the WIP. Don't get discouraged. Scenes like that come around. In fact, I am in the exact same boat as you right now, believe it or not. I stayed up for two nights until nearly 4am, forcing out a scene that I figured out today just has to be cut. I was mad at first, then realized, it's really for the best. It was too awkard, and I kept thinking it just didn't fit. The characters felt strange, the moment felt staged. Just too weird. So, it's gone. And now I have to think of something to put in it's place. Something that will still accomplish my original purpose of that scene between the hero/heroine. IT's frustrating, I know!

    But push through it. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. You're so close! *gets off soapbox* Wow, I'm quite the inspirational speaker.

    Enjoy the weekend, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been slacking on my WIP too. All the jazz surrounding Guide's release has made it hard to work on the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.