Friday, March 23, 2007

Pickin' Wildflowers

Mini and I slept in very late this morning. Normally I'd feel really guilty about that, but yesterday when Jay came in for lunch, he had his paycheck with him. I took care of all our bill paying yesterday, even bought a few groceries. Knowing I wouldn't have to do the usual rounds today, I stayed super late last night - til somewhere around midnight tweaking a chapter.

I wasn't going down til it was finished, and I am jumping-joy happy today because I got through it! My crit partner sent back that chapter I emailed and I can't even begin to say how helpful that was. *tackle hug* Once she pointed out a few things to me, the magic came back. I was rockin' the wip again. Today I'll be working on a lurrrve scene. ^_^

One thing I noticed yesterday, I don't have to worry about is the word count with this current manuscript - which is a total relief. Am I the only author that frets over that sort of thing? You get to chapter 4 and realize that your book might fall short, so you start dividing the current count by the remaining chapters? Once you do, you start freaking out because it looks like you'll need a bazillion more chapters to meet the required length? That's me. I sucked at math in school, but I can come up with some bizarre equations to drive myself nuts with when it comes to a manuscript. It's an illness, I tell you.

Anyway, I better get crackin'. I woke up late to start, but then Hubby called me a little while ago and said if he and his helper can finish a run of conduit early, the crew will take off the rest of the day. Woot! He didn't tell me how many feet they were expected to run, but that would be awesome if he could make it home even a little early.

It's Friday, folks! *dance, dance* Hope yours is a good one!

10 comments:

  1. OMG, I totally do that too. The chapter / word count thing.

    On my last book, I wanted to write 1500-2000 word chapters for snappy pacing, and I knew I needed at least 75K at finish. So I whipped out the calculator and was like Okay, I need at least 38 chapters if write 2000 words each. If I write 1500 words in each, then I need like 50. If I wander in between the range, then my end result will be somewhere in between.

    I'm not sure how many chapters I ended up with, but near the end of the book, I just arbitrarily decided I would write 10 more chapters (and calculated remaining word count) so I knew I needed to write 2200 words per chapter in order to meet my quota. The book is 76,616.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the word count. Sometimes we just focus on it too much, but I think it's part of the process.

    I'm very happy to hear that you got the story magic back. Without that magic, it can all sour, huh?

    Anyway, hope the hubby gets home early for you and you all have a wonderful weekend!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gorgeous pictures you've been posting. It makes me feel like spring.
    Sometimes I stay up late working on chapters. When I get into my head, it won't let me sleep until I've written it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie: That sounds like one of those kinds of formulas I use. ^_^ I tell hubby about them and he just looks at me like, "HUH?" Hehe!

    Yolanda: It's true, without that magic it's so easy for it to go sour.

    LK: I'm glad you like the pics! Now that you mention it, they do look very spring like. I've been in that mood lately - ready for warmer brigher weather. ^_^

    Happy weekend, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Word 2007, so the word count is automatic. As I type, it shows the number of words. I admit that, even though I love that feature, I've always been obsessive-compulsive about the word count. And don't get me started on quotas per day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pic!

    Glad to hear the writing is coming along. And I'm jealous about the sleeping in. I've slept terrible for the past week cos of my kids. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a gorgeous picture.

    I slept 'til 11:30 this morning. Sundays are mine and the husband's only sleep-in day.

    I tend to write mostly longer works, so word count really isn't a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tempest, I have that 2007 Word auto word count too. I had to turn it off though, because I would sit there and stare at it while writing. It was too nerve wracking for me. Sort of like watching the wall street ticker, waiting for something to happen. LOL! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids can sure knock a dent in sleep, can't they, Karen. Mini must be having growing pains or something. Some weeks he'll sleep with no trouble, then he'll go through a stretch when neither of us seem to get any rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zinnia, I so envy you with the longer word counts. I'm trying to work at that now, push myself to write something longer. However, if a story seems to end it self shorter than I'd like, I accept that it was meant to be.

    A longer length story is actually my goal for the year.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^