Monday, March 26, 2007

Hair, a new dress, and demons...


Mission accomplished! I now have everything I need for lil sis' wedding, plus a sore neck to boot.

Hubby managed to get off work early Friday, so he took Mini with him to buy a new suit. While they were gone, I called and got the hours information for the salon I prefer to go to. On Saturdays, they run 8-4, and the lady told me they are packed that day of week. Since the salon is first come, first served (no appointments) you have to come early if you want to be seen.

We had everything planned out, hubby and I. I was going to zip over to the salon, which is in another town; get the hair chopped and reblocked, then zip back home and we'd get back in the car and run to yet another town so I could go dress shopping - and he and the kids could do whatever. Sound plan, right? Well, Friday night Mini ended up with a tummy ache. I stayed up all night while he flipped and flopped. I rocked him in the den until around 6 AM. I couldn't stay awake any longer, and went and fell across the bed. An hour later hubby comes in with Mini on his hip and says, "Uh, hon. I know you're tired, but aren't you going to the salon today?" I mumble and moan and bit, but do eventually crawl out of bed, slip on a t-shirt and shoes, and off I go - not even a cup of coffee in my system.

I get to the salon about 8:15, which is great, because I got the choice parking. However, I got inside and there were a ton of folks already there. Ho hum. It was an hour and a half to two hours before I got seated. Luckily I got one of the ladies who had worked on me before - the one who'd been there when I got my hair chopped off for Locks of Love - so I felt pretty confident. Well, let me tell you...

I spent 5 hours in the chair. Longest salon visit of my life. I wanted my hair cut and lightened, and the first color they put on, didn't take. My hair was red to start, but this color took it down to only a light ginger. Think Gillian Anderson in early X-Files. We looked at it, and it wasn't what I originally asked for, which was a honey blonde. So, they decide to correct the goof by adding tons of highlights. What am I gonna do, you know? So they do a wash and dry - and then we do a cap. By this time, I'm starving, so I eat a bag of trail mix I've been carrying around in my bag.

I didn't get to see the final color result right away, so I knew it was going to be hit or miss. The woman working on me, also had to roll two other ladies hair while I was in the chair. When we did a wash this time, we left my hair wet, and the minute I was back in the chair, she started hacking in layers. This took about an hour on its own. She'd cut layers in and while a great big fluffy nest of hair grew on the floor from my clippings, she'd rant at me about how thick my hair is. Next, she dried, waxed (yes, it's true) and flat ironed my hair into this:

The pics are kinda bad - they were taken with a cell phone cam in the backyard. And yes, that is me sans makeup - a rare site anywhere. Anyway, the hair is a bit flippier than I would have done it myself, but you get the gist of it. I added the box of color so you could get an idea of what shade it is since the pics turned out dark, and washed out looking. The color is actually a light coppery red with golden blonde/apricot highlights. Surprisingly natural looking. One unique thing about this cut... it's the first time in 17 years I have had bangs.

I got up this morning, and my neck is really sore from all the hair washing and the poking and proding, but it was worth it. Hubby loves the new cut, too, and that's a big plus. On Saturday, we went to the mall and I bought a purple dress, and shoes for the wedding. Very Easter-ish. I'm not a fan of purple, but the cut worked really well for me, and it fit great. It's a dark lavender fitted shift dress with a built-on longish jacket with sheer sleeves. After trying on 13 dresses - no kidding - I was flushed by the time I got out of there, I settled on what fit, was semi-comfy, and didn't make me look sicky. (Light yellow is apparently not my color.)

*takes a deep breath*

So there was my weekend. I spent it with hubby, the kids, and my parents - when the popped over to see us. During all this, somehow I managed to start reading Dana Reed's Demon Within. It's a horror novel from the early 90's. I'd hoped to have all day Sunday for writing, and since that didn't happen, I plan to make up for it today. My goal is to have one chapter completely polished, scrubbed, chopped, rewritten... whatever. Just completed. At the end of the day, I want to see it in the FINAL stack. How about the rest of you? Any word count/ writing goals today?

Happy Monday! Now onward, I march...


8 comments:

  1. Bloody hell! I'd have dyed it myself! I can't imagine sitting in a chair for that long. Unless it's in front of the PC hahaha.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, ME! ^_^ I normally would've colored it myself, but I've never tried to lighten it with it that short in the back before. I didn't want to get it too light, or end up with a patchy look. (I am not entirely to be trusted with hair dye, LOL!)

    At the same time, I was so ready to be up out of that chair... I left around closing time, if that says anything. They were putting things away and sweeping hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great, Cora! And I think you and I have pretty much the same color- which, by the way, looks awesome with lavender and purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cora,
    The longest I have ever been in a hair salon was 12 hours! Yes, 12 hours. Needless to say, I never went back. My hairdresser goes by appointments and walk-ins. Appointments are priority though. She will come early if I ask her. I have gone as early as 7:00 a.m. Usually I go after work, around 5 p.m. Ah, what we women do to look beautiful. Sucks, doesn't it? I think I get a great deal of reading done while sitting under the dryer at the salon. I go almost every week, or every two weeks; depends on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Cora, that sucks, but it turned out cute. I love the back with all those layers.

    I've been so lucky, best thing about moving to Virginia is Shenna the girl who's done my hair for the past five years. She's freaking brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like it, Margy! Before this new cut and dye, our hair was the exact same shade. I love that color! I only decided to go a little lighter for spring/summer. It's still very red though. ^_^

    PS. I'm filing that for future reference about the lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Demon hunter, I would have been bawling after 5 hours. You're certainly made of tougher stuff than me. I do like going to the salon though. I live in a house full of males, so it's nice to go into a "girls only" zone once in a while, LOL! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have gorgeous hair, Samantha! Isn't it great to find a stylist you "click" with? I thought I'd found a local girl who could work with my hair, but now she's cut her hours back so much, I'm back to the old stand-by salon. I have to admit, they did a great job on this cut. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^