Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

No, that's not a picture of me, but that's the hairstyle I got my hair snipped into this afternoon. I went from waist length hair to the little crop you see here, and let me say this... I love it!

Everyone at the salon was freaking out when I arrived and word got around what I was about to do - cut, yes cut, and color my hair. Several patrons in hair rollers and half a head full of extensions came to ask me why I'd do such a thing. I simply replied, "Because it's time for a change."

They don't realize I've had the same style for oh, something like 15 years. Long hair does seem to be the romantic "it" hairstyle to some, so I guess I can understand their questions.

A crowd of about seven people, hairstylists and patrons, gathered as my stylist went to do the first chop. One woman stood next to me with her hand over her mouth. There were actual gasps of shock and horror as she began sawing away at the bundled hair she'd gathered at the nape of my neck.

"Oh, god, it's thick," the stylist commented, and then the snipping sound stopped. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders, and the next thing I know the owner of the salon is holding up 12 inches up hacked off hair like a spoil of war for everyone to alternately cringe at and admire.

Bizarre, huh? The owner then took the banded length and put it into a bag for me. I plan to donate the length to Locks of Love, an organization that makes human hair wigs for children who've lost their hair due to chemotherapy and other medical reasons.

It took three hours to fashion my hair into something resembling the picture shown. I have the cut, just not the short bangs - my face is too round for that. Throughout the entire sitting, people kept coming up to me with questions: "why did I do it?" "how did it feel shorter?" "did I regret it?" I didn't say so to any of them, but I truly feel a bit liberated. As weird as it sounds, over the years too much emphasis has been put on my hair. My family is always commenting about Cora's long wavy hair. People in town recognized me for my hair, and at times complete strangers would even come up to touch it like it was animal fur. To be free of that is a bit like turning over a new leaf.

So there you have it, my hair cut story and wonky post for today.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet Cora- I can't wait for a pic! Mike got his hair cut several months ago and we were both disappointed to learn that there was a minimum on length for Locks of Love. While it was time for him to look a bit more like a grown-up, I had really hoped all those inches could go to a child in need.
    Mine isn't close to long enough, but I am getting a completely new look soon.
    I'll let you know!
    Love,love,
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really nice hairstyle! Good on you for taking the plunge to change your hair. I know what you mean about the long hair.

    I've mostly had long hair most of my life, but have taken the above-shoulder-length chop several times. Change is good, especially for hair.

    It's also GREAT that you're donating the hair, that's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!! When I cut my hair back in Nov I only got four inches cu t off and they acted like it was a federal crime, but I've done what you did...the stares are hilarious! Congrats on the change!

    With Love,
    Tara M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo! Does your head feel like it's going to float away with all that weight lifted? It looks like a great style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you're so brave! I love that haircut, it's so cute! You'll have to post pics of the real cut on you so we can see....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes a lot of guts to cut one's hair that short after having it long for so long. I've done it a couple times, but my hair is super long and grows super fast too. Got mine cut into a layer do last Christmas and it's almost to my waist again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool, Cora. :)And I bet you look great with that cut.

    I've donated my hair twice. The first time I grew it out deliberately just to donate. This last time was this past summer when I was feeling a whole lot whiny about rejections and being broke and a whole host of other silly life things.

    I personally hate me with short hair, but I figured if they took it off, everytime I looked in the mirror I'd remember there was a lot worse things in this life then your 20th rejection.

    I donated in June, definitely got my attitude adjusted and wrote the novel that became my first contracted work. And in the end...the short hair wasn't so bad after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a bunch for the show of support, ladies! I have the hank of hair in a box, ready to ship. I'll have to snap a picture of it to show off before I mail it. ^_^

    I'll get hubby or son or someone to take a picture of the new 'do, so everyone can see it. I haven't mastered "floofing" it up like in the picture yet. That's a completely new experience for me, but I've been having fun with it. I've already styled and washed it four times since I had it cut. :P It's a bit resistent to the spiking in back. I guess that's from years of wearing it long and heavy. So it kind of looks like a plain brown bob without the teasing. That's me and hairstyling. LOL!

    Margy:I hope you'll send me a picture when you get your new look. You have such a beautiful complexion - I'd love to see you try red, if you decide to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Yolanda! Speaking of change being good for the hair. It's so wild, being able to run my fingers through my hair tips to ends without running into any tangles. I can't remember the last time I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara, hi!!! I remember when you got your haircut! That was an adorable style you chose. The stylist and customers watching did look at me like I was commiting an act against humanity. Quite amusing, especially since it's just hair! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scooper! It really does feel lighter - alot lighter.

    You know when I really noticed the 'weight shift'? When I was washing it. Long hair weighs a ton when it's wet. I was washing my hair in the tub for the first time after the cut, and when I sat up I nearly gave myself whiplash! Apparently I didn't need the extra "oompa" to get my head up out of the water. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Karen! I'll post pics soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zinnia, it really does take a lot of guts to go get it chopped. I didn't go in until I felt postivitely, 100% ready. I've been working up to it for a long time - getting layers snipped into the length, getting an inch or two off, here and there, etc. Finally I decided it was time. And it does feel different now that it's shorter. I'm sure it will take some getting used to before it truly feels like me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Samantha! I saw your pic on myspace and you have gReAt short hair! Very fun and sassy looking. I love it!

    Wow, that's cool you grew yours out to donate it. That takes a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a cute haircut. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep meaning to get my hair cut too. About that style. Last night I watched Devil Wears Prada and I'm torn because I like the short hair like Meryl S's hair style, but I wish I could look so cute with the long hair and bangs like Anne Hathaway. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^