Monday, December 04, 2006

Spreading Ye Old Xmas Cheer


Charlie Brown had the right idea. A small, skimpy tree with one sad ornament and pine needles flaking off. There are some years I swear if it weren't for the kids, I wouldn't bother with a tree. Not because I'm a scrooge, or an Xmas hater. I'm not spiritless when it comes to holidays, etc. etc... It's nothing like that, it's simply because I'm lazy about decorating anything - Xmas tree included.

Okay, in truth it's not so much the decorating I mind, as it is the undecorating. You know, that moment at the end of the holidays you look over at the tree, the mistletoe, and all the glittery sparkly decorations all over the house and go, "Brek! Now I have to take down all this mess." You tell yourself this while dread gathers in your heart - you know good and well you aren't in the mood to touch this stuff and won't be for at least a week or so.

The next thing you know Boxing Day has long passed, it's well after the New Year and you're still looking at that blinking tree because it's such a chore to take down, you're still putting it off. Hubby comes home from work everyday and the minute he's in the door, he gives you a smooch then looks over at the tree. "Um, honey? Don't you think we should take down the tree?" In saying we, he actually means you.

Well, I certainly can't speak for everyone, but that is my house after the holidays. I've actually taken over-decoration into consideration this year. I'm very careful not to do it. It's kind of hard to monitor though. You know how that is. You go to the store, see the singing Tazmanian devil in the santa hat, and you bring him home. Then the yard globe with the dizzy reindeer in it. Next thing you know, you can hear all the neighborhood kids screeching as the parents drive past: "Stop there, mommy!" They're screeching because your house no longer resembles a house. It's taken on the look of an Xmas theme park in the middle of the 'hood, and they can't tell the difference.


The fact is, I do feel obligated to make a showing for the kids. Not the neighbors kids. My own kids. I try to do the whole thing: baking cookies, the Taz in the santa hat, the tree, a yule log, mistletoe, egg nog, and Xmas music. Blah. It's about passing down the tradition, and besides that, Oldest feels it's not really Xmas unless the house looks like every house he's ever seen on TV during the holiday season. You know, like in Home Alone? I usually do this for him - most of it anyway. Hey, I'm not a masochist. But for some strange reason everytime I go to pack all this stuff away, Oldest conveniently disappears so he's unable to help me.

This year I'm settling for fairy lights above the door to the den, the tree, and the singing Taz - yes, I do have one. But that's about it. No dizzy reindeer - which I think are terribly cute, by the way. I'm pretty sure when it's all said and done, Oldest will think the holiday went by just fine. And thankfully Mini is still to young to know any different.

2 comments:

  1. I like Xmas but sometimes I think we as a society put too much pressure on ourselves to make it a perfect time. Which of course never happens...

    This year I'm all about "hey whatever." We decorated, I'm almost done with shopping and I plan on making cookies. Whatever else happens, happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely put too much pressure on it, but I just don't have the gumption for that this year. Too much has happened. I still think it will be a good one for everyone though.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.