Thursday, December 21, 2006

Recommended Read

Like werewolves? Looking for something fresh to read? I recommend picking up Garou Moon by M.E. Ellis.


Phaedre "Eddie" Ross runs a small bar in a town called Little Brentwood. She's a relatively new resident; she moved there to make a fresh start after the divorce from her abusive husband became final. Now that things finally seem to be on the up and up for her, she decides maybe now she's ready to take another chance on love.

She's certainly got her pick within the community. Best friends Lance and Ian come into her bar on a regular basis for a pint of beer and to vie for her attention, as does Constable Owen Blake.


But they aren't the only ones who've taken an interest in her. Following a string of wolf attacks in the area, someone in town seems to enjoy dropping off the most bizarre tokens of affection outside her place of business - fingers, toes, and other mangled body parts.

If that isn't alarming enough, a group of werewolf hunters have made their way into town. And if their suspicions are right, Phaedre's secret admirer may very well be something more than a human.


I picked up Garou Moon not knowing quite what to expect, and I can honestly say this is one of the best books I've read this season. It's not your typical erotic romance - there are a lot of steamy sexy scenes, but the story itself is more of a horror/thriller with erotic elements. I found myself quickly trying to unravel the mystery of the werewolf. Who is he? What is his true connection to Phaedre?

M.E. Ellis did a wonderful job adding her own personal twist on the werewolf mythos, and her writing has an almost cinematic quality. I could easily picture this book as a movie. Another fine point of the book is the characterization. Phaedre isn't some sappy heroine falling head over heels for some undeserving man, and as a thirty-something reader, I can certainly appreciate that. Even when the last scene doesn't reveal Phaedre's final reaction, and creates a sort of freeze-frame effect, her character's personality is so constant and believable throughout the book, you can easily guess just how she would handle the final surprise event.

Garou Moon is an engrossing werewolf story. I couldn't put it down, and it has lingered on my mind since reading it. Very nicely done.

7 comments:

  1. OOHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    Thank you for reviewing my book!

    WAH!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, Emmy? I told you it was a great novel!!! It was worth every hair-pulling moment, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pleasure, ME! ^_^ Faith is right, it's a great novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've been considering reading this, but was weary. Now that you've given such a great review, I'm adding it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good book, M. I hope you like it too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.