Monday, December 18, 2006

Let It Snow


The weekend was pretty uneventful. I spent it with the kids and hubby - he took off Sunday to be with us. He took the boys with him to go Xmas shopping first thing yesterday morning, and he's keeping all the gifts he bought in the Jeep. I suppose he'll wait for my mom to return from Texas for her to wrap them. It's all for the best, I guess. It keeps me out of the Jeep, but we wouldn't be able to set the gifts under the tree anyway - Mini would get into them at every turn. It's the same reason our tree only has a star on top of it this year. I'm already having a time keeping him from pulling it down on himself, but if there were sparkly pretty ornaments on there? Hahaha!

Speaking of Mini. He had his first movie freakout moment this weekend - you know, when a kid sees something on tv that scares them so bad they run screaming behind the recliner? Yep. That happened. Know what we were watching? Jim Carrey's version of The Grinch That Stole Xmas!

That's okay, Mini! Jim Carrey creeps me out too! I thought he'd like the show because of the music and the dog, but he took one look at The Grinch's eyes and ran screaming through the den. He was so freaked out, it freaked me out. I didn't know what the heck had happened at first. He just lost it, and ran behind the chair. Well, then, I guess we'll watch something else, no?

More Movies...

Hubby and Oldest rented a few new releases, so after everyone went on to bed I ended up sitting through Bloodrayne. I loved the video game, but the movie... Oy, what a stinker! I rarely say that about a movie, there are usually at least some points I like in each show, but this one was... well, it was just bad. The movie starts out in (Eastern?) Europe during what seems like the Middle Ages, but I couldn't tell for sure since many of the fashions in it are picked off from what looks like the Regency Period. I could overlook that, really, but the dialog was very bad. Very stunted. "I will go. You can not, Rupert. For I am going in your place." Stuff like that. And everyone had an American accent. In the freaking Middle Ages? *_* Lots of gore throughout. I'm talking blood spraying all over the place and people getting chopped in half. A peasant or two got stabbed in the eyes with swords. Seriously. Very graphic stuff. That was probably the highlight of the movie, because even now I can't recall the plot.

A movie I did like that hubby rented was An Inconvenient Truth. You know, the Al Gore documentary on Global Warming? Oldest rolled his eyes when we went to sit down with this one. He went and picked up his drawing stuff - notepad, pencils, and erasers - and sat by me on the couch. He had no intention of really watching the movie; however, within 1o minutes, I looked over, and he'd set his drawing stuff aside and was watching the documentary with us. He stayed glued through the entire thing. I was very, very impressed with this film. It was straight forward, amusing, and very clear and easy to understand. I can now see what all the hype was about at Cannes. I would recommend this one in a heart beat. I was surprised when Oldest got up at the end of the movie and said, "That was far more interesting than what I thought it was going to be." There you go, the King of Anime has spoken. It's a good movie. ROFL!

Waiting...

Aside from movies, I sat around the phone most of the weekend, waiting for a call from my mother. Today is my grandmother's masectomy, and so I'm sticking close by, waiting for word on her condition. Last night I spoke with her for about forty minutes - it was a nice chat. She mainly called because she wanted to hear Mini on the phone. He wasn't talking yet the last time I took him to Texas. Then about a week or so ago, he spoke to my Aunt on the phone, and gram has since wanted to hear him. He said a few little things to her, and she thought that was just precious. I wish I could be there, but there's no way I could keep Mini occupied in a hospital waiting room for hours at a time. Nevermind the distance we'd be from home - anyone who's traveled with a toddler knows how rough that can be.

Today I plan to start on a few ebooks I promised to review. One is Garou Moon, by M.E Ellis. (I've been waiting for this one!) The other is Night Spell by Lucinda Betts. I'm reviewing that one for Romance Divas.

That's it for me for the moment. I am seriously behind on my blog rounds, so I may try to pop in and visit a few good folks. In the meantime, everyone start your count down to Xmas. It's only 8 days away!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cora:

    I've just discovered your site, and I've added to places I slack in! Very brave of you to cut your hair. I've often been tempted but always back out at the last minute!

    Thanks for reviewing NIGHT SPELL for me! I particulary like the part where you said: Ms. Betts' stories have a very sexy, dreamlike quality about them. Her writing style flows like silk and is full of beautiful imagery. I found each story engaging, and paced to perfection.

    I have two more stories available for review, if you're interested. MOON SHADOW comes out in March and the THE SUPPLICANT comes out in July. MOON SHADOW is like Bed Sport in that it's an action/adventure sort of tale.

    SWAK,
    Lucinda

    Lucinda Betts *~* www.LucindaBetts.com
    PURE SEX, Kensington, Aphrodisia--out now!
    NIGHT SPELL, Kensington, Aphrodisia--out now!
    MOON SHADOW, Kensington, Aphrodisia--March 2007

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^