Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Karma Check

Why google myself and find all the nasty insinuating tidbits about me, when I can just sit here on my rosy laurels and let it come to me?

It's amazing to me the way some people can just take what someone says to them at face value about another person and their work, no credentials required, then turn around and compile that into a bundle to suit their own needs and purposes - never once pausing to check the facts, or get the other side of the story.

I am truly mystified by this. I'm even more mystified that my miniscule presence in the publishing industry has garnered such attention.

I think it's pretty shallow, not to mention a waste of time and energy, to perpetuate or otherwise cause harmful gossip about another author. After all, don't you have a book to write? It's this sort of negative behavior that can really sort the laundry, so to say.

Words against another person have the potential to act like a stubborn stain. You might not mean to create the stain at the time, but what you say never quite goes away. Oh, it might get swept to the back of the closet for a time, but I have seen many, many times over the years, just when you think you've redressed yourself into something fresh, and no one remembers that whole nastiness, it can crop up again. You get into a certain crowd feeling all fresh and cheeky, only to have someone point out in the worst possible moment - "hey, is that a stain?"

My point is this: What goes around comes around. It never hurts to play nice. So, please, instead of worrying about what's on my shirt, tend your own laundry.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a lighter note, today's art is by the talented Viv Eisner. Lovely X-mas works. She has more pretties you can browse, and even buy, here:

http://www.fiddlesticksdallas.com/Christmas/tinkalywinks_at_fiddlesticks.htm

8 comments:

  1. I hope that whatever happened or was said goes away and all is well. Take it from me, as I've had my fair share of internet bitch wars, it's just not worth the trouble.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Ok Cora, we all know I'm basically in limbo while I get my bearings with my move in my new digs...but your title got me thinking on what I told my husband.

    I try to be a nice person and it's hard at times. Why? Because I know first hand what and mean and unforgiving bitch Karma can be. Most people don't believe me when I say it, but she is. Just sit back and wait. It'll happen. :-)

    Hope things get better!

    With Love,
    Tara M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:07 PM

    I've recently begun reviewing books online. I've found myself seriously wondering about the author. I don't try to hurt feelings. I try to balance my feelings towards the book with the knowledge that they are published and I'm not. I also make it a point (I think) to never talk about the author and stick to issues within the book. It's my hope that if I step over the line somebody will point it out to me.

    I hope all goes well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything seems to be smoothing itself over, Kim, so I'm not going to worry about it. Definitely not worth the trouble. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tara, for the pick me up. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Scooper! I picked an odd day to visit your blog, sorry about that, but I couldn't resist your movie list post! ^_^

    A lot of people are doing book reviews on their blogs now. I think it's only fair a reader gets to put their their two cents worth in when reading a new book. I think that's awesome you take the writer into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:00 PM

    Cora, come visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Aw Cora sorry about that. Like Tara said, karma's a bitch and what goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.