Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's A Hard Climb


I don't think I've ever been so glad to see a Tuesday in my life. Yesterday was fraught with frustrations. See, I bought a copy of PSP XI and installed it. No problem there! But when I got my computer, it had a trial version of PSP X preinstalled. So what did I do? I uninstalled it before pouring the new version in on top of it. Next thing I know, Windows Installer is going NUTS trying to find a missing file from PSP X - which, of course, is no longer there. Being the fact I have a Dell, I have no OS reboot disks. I don't know why they are so protective of those damn things, every other computer co. supplies them with purchase.

After trying everything to pacify the WI, I finally had no choice but to find the disk or the file it is so desperately trying to locate. My first thought was to do a system restore - which I did. It didn't resolve the problem. I fought with it a little more, then finally called Dell, thinking I want my friggin' OS disks - NOW. Of course, I didn't say that on the phone, haha, but by this point I was certainly ready to storm the gates and shake my fist at someone.

Oldest is home from school by then, and Mini is on a climbing, squealing, baby ninjitsu rampage. The tech guy's accent is so thick I can barely understand him, and since Mini is squealing, Oldest decides to fix the problem by turning up the freaking TV so he can't hear Mini. I finally had to put the tech on hold, go to the den and threaten bodily harm to both my children and shoo them out of the room so I could have the tech guy repeat everything. The tech guy apparently finds this all very amusing.

Anyway, he put my disks on order, and walks me through a fix that lasts, oh, I'd say 10 bloody minutes! Tell me that doesn't make your brain melt after five hours of tinkering? We did the steps, restarted the comp, and voila! The laptop is running like a top. I've even got my PSP XI and Chuzzles back in there now. Woot! I'm ready to - I don't know, copy and paste something.

So that was my Monday - spent yesterday dealing with computer issues, and waiting on important family phone calls. Oh, hell. I might as well come out and say it - my gram is dealing with breast cancer. We only just learned the diagnosis a few days ago, so everything is very much up in the air here at home. What with all that, there is very little drive to do any writing. Okay, well, the drive is there, but my thoughts go flying a thousand different directions when I sit to type something. I've got an entire first draft completed for my demons, but I look at it, and it's like staring at alien code. I have no idea what I'm even looking at. So for now, I'm just letting things go as they are.

4 comments:

  1. I've been there with the computer problems. They will drive you nuts. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:01 AM

    Breathe, breathe, breathe...hope things get better with your grandmother. And, I'm glad the computer is ok now...imagine not being able to write!

    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    With Love,
    Tara M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to say I'm finally coming down off my "computer nerves" binge. I'm so glad the comp is running well again.

    And thanks for all the gramma prayers,ladies. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your family problems. We've been through the same thing. Whenever I hear about breast cancer now it freaks me out. Having non-cancerous lumps myself, it doesn't stop you recalling the fear and terror and the wait to 'find out' and the continual monitoring in case they do change and turn nasty.

    Best wishes, truly meant.

    ***

    The computer thing--I can relate to that phone call with the kids going crazy and having a heavily accented person on the other end of the line. It drives me effing nuts, as these people ALWAYS ring in the evening when everyone is home and I can't hear them, due to our house being like a busy airport terminal.

    BUGGINGGGGGGGGG!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.