Monday, November 20, 2006

Smoke from Burning Leaves

I'm happy to announce the shopping trip to the bookstore on Saturday went well. I got most of the books on my buy list. They didn't have the main manual I was looking for - ho hum - but I found a replacement on Amazon once I got home. Here are the books I picked up:

* Sun Signs for Writers, by Bev Walton-Porter
* The Traveling Vampire Show, by Richard Laymon
* Wishes Come True, by Kathleen Nance
* and a sorry CSS manual that I plan to return

I was a bit rushed toward the end of the "spree", so I didn't get the manual I wanted. They didn't have it in stock. I went with something else, picked out on the spot, and now I regret it. Why do I do that? Impulsive, impulsive! I'm going to return the book on Friday. If they give me any crap I'm going to lay wicked voodoo on them.

I think Oldest was a bit disappointed we didn't stay longer at the bookstore - on Saturday the local kids living nearby gather and duel Yu-gi-Oh! cards, and it's the one chance Oldest gets to join in on the games and actually duel someone who knows what's going on. He also gets to trade cards, and he was proud to announce this week that he managed to complete a card set.

I couldn't let him stay longer just to duel, though. While I shopped, poor hubby was left to walk Mini around a place that pretty much has nothing a toddler is interested in (unless you count them chewing or drooling on it). So he pretty much was forced to wag a squiggling, wiggling, unhappy boy around for the better part of two hours.

I made it up to him when we got home, however. He doesn't realize it yet, but I bought some of his Xmas presents this weekend. Woot! Before Thanksgiving too. I'm a snazzy dame, I tell you. No waiting until the day before Xmas this year - I solemnly swear I've learned my lesson about that! I ordered hubby a motorcycle jacket, and a laptop. That's it for his big ticket stuff. Now to keep him away from electronics shopping til the end of December. If swear if he brings home a new computer before Xmas, you'll see me on CNN being led away in handcuffs.

All that aside, I now have something to confess. I didn't exactly walk away empty handed this week - and I'm not talking about a few books. I'm fully prepared to be feel the heat when my statement comes in next month, but there's no way I could pass this up. Hubby will likely croak when he finds out because, yeah, it's super frivilous, but when I saw this charming baby girl on eBay, I nearly keeled over in my chair. I had to have her...

<picture deleted>Hardcore Cabbage Patch Kid collectors will know what she is on site, but for those that don't do dolls, this baby is RARE. She's a #14 Headmold cornsilk girl from 1986. She's wearing a rare outfit too. Very cute! The #14 face kids are my favorites - I love the little double chin, and the A/Am ones are extremely hard to find. I tried to win her baldie brother about a week ago, but had no luck. Talk about a disappointment.... I'll gladly take this little angel as a consolation prize! *mini squee!*

Now for my goals for the week... I've pretty much flunked out of NaNo. I've only got around 10.5k words going on. But I do have my chart and I plan to finish the rough draft before the month is out if time allows. I'm not sure how many words I'm looking to manage, but at this point, I'm not going to worry about it. I know what scenes need to be added, I have the dialog for them, now to pull them together. I want to have this book in order by the end of December. I'm looking to start 2007 with a fresh, creative slate.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun shopping trip. I remember the Cabbage Patch days. I wish I still had some of the ones my daughters got for Christmas years ago. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 PM

    Ohhhhh I used to love the Cabbage Patch Kids...actually, we didn't have much money growing up but I really wanted one for Christmas,my mom ended up making me one! I still have her!

    Good luck on your goals!

    With Love,
    Tara M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Mia! I got my first CPK for Xmas, too, back when they were extremely hard to find in the stores. My parents learned of a lady selling them out of her house and my dad picked one for me. I still have him to this day. ^_^

    Tara, I remember my cousin having a homemade one! Those were the days. I never grew out of those dolls. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your shopping trip was a success - in all ways! And glad you found a Cabbage Patch doll. I know how much you like to collect...

    I did Xmas shopping today too. I'm almost finished - which is rare for me this early but I just don't want to deal this year. I'd rather stay home and do fun stuff with the kids.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Before Cabbage Patch Dolls hit the big time, my grandfather owned an adoption center. My cousin and I used to dress up as nurses on the weekend and help people adopt. We even road in a few parades with those dolls. Great memories. :)

    Congrats on the shopping, I'm a compulsive Christmas Eve shopper. Doesn't matter if I've got everything for everybody or not, I still have to shop on Christmas Eve. I'm demented.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^