Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Day Before Turkey Day

Ah, cooking day... I've got eggs boiling, cornbread cooking, potatoes peeled, and the turkey thawing. I was preparing for this yesterday, and thinking: the day after tomorrow, I'm going to be putting up a Christmas tree. Can someone tell me where the heck this year has gone?!

When I look back, I tend to think of things in either baby, or publishing milestones. Oh, I did this in July, or Mini did this in September... but at the same time, I realize I do have a lot of things to be thankful for.

It's been a smooth flowing year this year. *knock on wood* No big disruptions as often happens in our family. Hubby's job sometimes takes him out of state for months at a time, but I'm happy to report he's been near home all year. There wasn't a bunch of job hopping either--which happens a lot in industrial construction. Once you start a new project, you're slowly working your way out of a job. So it's been fairly prosperous for us, in our middle class living kind of way, and we are all still kicking around as we should be. That alone is reason to be thankful. Also, everyone in my family who has been deployed to some far flung corner of the world doing military service for the past few years, has made it home safely. Oh, we've had a bumps and bruises this year, but they are very few and very minor in consideration of everything positive that has happened. I'm hoping this trend follows us through to Christmas, and well into 2007.

I know it's not exactly the time of year most people start thinking about the upcoming year, but I've been giving it lots of thought. Making plans. I have things I want to do, and goals to meet. Now it's just a matter of tying up lose ends.

On another note, hubby and I are preparing to brave the holiday shopping frenzy the day after Thanksgiving. I rarely attempt the mall, or large chain stores that time of year, but this year I have to. That damn CSS book I'm returning. You got it... major chain, in a major traffic jam part of town. *sigh* While we are there, we're going to pick up a few things for the kids. I only hope we don't get plowed over, or lost from one another, while walking through the mall.

4 comments:

  1. You're brave souls to do the shopping thing. W/ no one to watch the little ones, I can't do it....so shop hard!

    I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Cora!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 PM

    I'm praying 2007 is a better year for my family. Personally, I'd love to skip the big holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, ladies! Karen, luckily my mom agreed to watch the kids for about two hours, so we will just have time to make a shopping sprint and rush home. Whew! It makes me tired just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith, there are times I really, really want to skip the big holidays too. That's one reason I love Halloween so much. I will keep a candle burning for you and yours. Hopefully 2007 will be more promising for all of us! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^