Thursday, August 17, 2006

Random Snazziness

I was reflecting yesterday on how I far I've come since trying to get my first book published in 2005. A lot of my family and friends think it's not so big a deal - epubbing, bah humbug, and all that. Whatever. Epublished or not, I feel I've finally breeched some big hurdle and that feels really good.

I don't think people who aren't writers can really understand what it's like to work so hard on something knowing that despite how you feel about it people are going to look over with a shrewd eye, judge it, probably spend very little time on it, and then in one fail swoop either praise it or rip it to shreds without so much as a care to the effort put in it. I don't think my family and friends realize that hey, published is published. I'm getting paid for what I do now, and to me that's a big thing. I don't care if I'm getting $5.00 a year for it; although money is nice, it's not about so much about that so much as the fact that I've manage to finally do what I thought I might never be able to do--write something worth selling. Am I alone in thinking this?

Last night I was reading an erotic romance book (a print title) and I thought--I want to do this. I want to have something in hold-it-in-your-hands print. Of course I've always had that in the back of my mind to write novels, but this... I don't know, felt different. I caught myself thinking in a new way about print books. I caught myself looking at it as a project, and not as a career move. Somehow, looking at it this way made it seem do-able.

I have had such a happy go with epubbing that I think I will always be geared to doing e-work. I love the freedom of it. But I'm also considering trying out a new print project for 2007. I guess if I'm going to, I better start doing some research. I'm sure this is going to be a whole new ballgame!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going along the same lines as you, Cora.

    Gotta move up the ladder at some point. Though being comfortable with what you do is nice, wouldn't the zing of an agent taking you on just make you wee your pants?

    That's my next step. EEK!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^