Sunday, July 23, 2006

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

If there is anywhere in the world I would like to go, it's to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. I remember reading about this place for the first time in the late 1980s... in a fashion magazine, no less. The spread was of a model lounging around in wisps of black chiffon on the hexagonal rocks. The pictures were all in black and white, and it was breathtaking. Not the model. The scenery. I was 13 at the time and I could have cared less what the shoot was for. I can't even picture the models face. But the landscape... that's another story. I wanted to go to the place in those pages. I had discovered someplace magical.

I still haven't had the pleasure of traveling to Ireland, although a part of me gravitates toward the culture. Heh, the fact that I'm half Irish could have something to do with it. ;) If I did go, my journey would not be complete until I'd walked across these very rocks, myself. I can almost imagine selkies crawling out of the sea to rest here for a time...

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I'd like to see that place too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Those pics are breathtaking. I'd love to go and sit there to meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a truly gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.