Monday, July 03, 2006

Are We There Yet?

I stayed up late last night and worked on my opening chapter for Wicked Temptation. I'm a little over 7k words into it now, and needed to shape up the beginning. Although the vampires are quite frisky, it's more serious. Darker, I guess. I hadn't intended that. I know it's supposed to be for Halloween, but I had meant it to have a more party-party type theme. Oops.

BTW, I got my first royalties statement in this morning, and it was surreal to look at it. I'm not making a lot of money, but the point that struck me is I am a paid writer. How cool is that?

6 comments:

  1. Uh, it's pretty darn cool. ;)

    My Halloween story turned out a lot darker too! I thought it would be a little more lighthearted, but nooooo.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, that same thing happened to me too! I was shooting for a more party-esque feel, but it didn't come out that way at all.
    Still, I'm very pleased with the character development. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your new story and your pay check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ain't it cool!? The royalties statement. I stared at mine for awhile too!

    My Halloween turned out darker too. Lori's turned out lighter :) So no sweat, they'll be all over the map :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting paid! That's a great feeling, isn't it?

    We've come a long way. My very first publisher, back in the dawn of e-publishing, paid their first royalties in coins taped to a 3x5 card. Now that would be an interesting bit of history, if any of us kept them intact!

    You may not remember Dreams Unlimited, which created the space that Ellora's Cave owns today. Bonnee and Silke pushed the first steaming pebbles over the precipice. The current avalanche of sexually-explicit romance grew from there.

    Hugs and best wishes for many more checks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liddy, that's so cool! I didn't know that about Dreams Unlimited/Ellora's Cave. I've only been reading reading ebooks for a few years now. That's fascinating about the coins and index cards! I'm sure someone framed their first earnings? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^