Saturday, March 11, 2006

I was thinking...

I was working on Crossing Borders yesterday, and hit me that although I'm attempting to get this one book in at AQ, this is book one of a series--a series in which I already have about five other stories in various stages of completion.

I can't help but wonder if AQ is the right way to go with this after all. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be pubbed through AQ, I'm still going to send in my rewrites... But what if they accept this book, but then they don't want to buy my other books? How will that work? What will it mean for my series? AQ seem to have tougher guidelines than other companies I know of. I won't go into endless details, but this is really starting to bug me. I'm not sure what to do.

3 comments:

  1. In my contracts there is a clause--right of first refusal. So if the publisher of the first book doesn't want the second book, then you can submit to another publisher.

    Also, don't know about AQ, but many e pubs have two yera contracts--so you could finish the series, then shop the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definately check with them on that! If you're books are connected at all, then you want to find a home for them and make sure they'll take a series. I know Cobblestone, where I'm at, they're taking on some series. And I know a lot of other places are too. But AQ you can't submit that easily. I know you got a 'call back' so maybe you're considered in. Check with Trace! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, I had actually though about the reshopping thing. I'll definitely have to find out what companies do reprints. EC does them, I think.

    I didn't know Cobblestone was doing series, Shelli. But once you mentioned it I checked it out and it looks like it would be perfect for my series. Once I get the rewrites finished (almost there!) I'm going to go ahead and email Trace and talk to him about it. I'm not under any obligation to AQ, so I still have time to think about what I want to do. Either way, I should know by Wednesday where I'll be trying to sub.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^