Sunday, March 05, 2006

Disillusionment and Writers

I believe everyone who reads secretly has a favorite writer, and although I could just be a weird exception, I'd be willing to bet that most series-followers have an idea of what their writer of choice is like in real life. Just like if you were walking down the street and saw a fabulously gorgeous person. You might assume they are a model or an actor, or some other such glamorous something. Or like when you look at Stephen King--you might assume he's sort of shy, or maybe even a bit of a goofball.

What's the saying about assumption? It makes an ass out of u and mption.

There is definitely a grain of truth in the above saying.

I won't go so far as to name my (former)favorite writer on here. Although we don't travel in the same circles, ALOT of people I know online know of her, or know her personally. I now know her too--perhaps not personally--but I've met her on more than one occassion. And I have to be honest, after that initial impression, I sort of wish I hadn't met her. That way I could go on reading her books without feeling disappointed.

Yes. Disappointed. It feels weird reading one of her books now, when I know she is not a person I could befriend easily--if at all. I realize it should be about the fiction, but I guess because I write too, I feel like a part of my soul goes into each finished work I create. So, with that, I guess I look at it like a bit of an author goes into every book they write. It might seem crazy, but there you have it.

I'm not normally one to go all Enquirer-Celebrity on people, I don't trail people around or make too many comments on someone's personal life. I will if someone asks my opinion, but otherwise, I mind my own business. I'm very much a "live and let live" kinda gal.

But I guess since this woman is a mother and a very hard-working writer--she puts out a considerable amount of much work each year--my assumption was that she would be a grounded and level-headed person with a witty personality... an average person, but also a charmer. Someone very bright. Someone pleasant to talk to.

Boy, was I wrong! When I talked to her--and keep in mind, this was in passing. I did NOT flag this woman down, wave her over, or in anyway approach her or anything. My first impression of her was that she's flighty and a bit arrogant. A prissy hair-twirler, and a bit of a sh*t-talker. (Excuse my French!)

I have to admit I was a bit shocked when I met her. Okay. I was very shocked. She was not at all like I thought she would be. And I couldn't help but catch myself over the following few days, reevaluating her books that I've read. I will likely finish reading out her latest series because I've already bought so many of the books, but beyond that I am truly no longer interested.

It's horrible. I know. I hang my head in shame. It shouldn't matter if she's a miss fancy-pants, it should be about her work and nothing else. And knowing that's the case also makes me fear what people might say about my work if they ever got to know me. But I can't help it. It's sort of like knowing how the magician does his tricks. Once you know what it's all about, the magic is gone.

3 comments:

  1. You know the same thing happened to me once. About six years ago I was at a concert for an alternative radio station and Sarah Michelle Gellar attended. I was a huge Buffy fan! She showed up to a rock show with a pink pashmina shawl. Talk about disillionment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of it is about the magic, since the books are all about fantasy, anyway.

    But I know what you're talking about.

    There was a band I really enjoyed in the 80s. I owned a couple of their cassettes, spent a lot of time listening to them.

    I met the lead singers n the mid-90's. He was a horrible, arrogant, SOB, and irrational to boot. After that, I couldn't listen to that band anymore. Which is sad -- since the rest of the band members were extremely nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sooo much better after reading all this... Thanks both of you! I don't feel like such an evil mutant harpy now for feeling like I do about it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^